Chapter 24

Jason's pov

"What happened?" I gasp instantly. "I got shot in the back. It paralyzed me and that's why I got sent home on honorary discharge." "I'm glad you're back bro." I say hugging him. "Where's mom?" "She's got the flu and couldn't come." "Man what's she gonna think?" "It don't matter. It doesn't change nothing." I text mom to warn her ahead of time. Then we drive over there. She was laying on the couch, our aunt taking care of her. "Hey Mom." Danny says. "I'm so glad you're back home, son." "Me too." He says.

*Later*

"Why was uncle Danny in a wheelchair?" Chris asks at dinner that night. "He got hurt overseas and can't walk anymore." "Like ever?" He gasps, eyes widening. "I'm assuming." I say unsure and slightly unnerved at the topic of conversation. I love my brother and I love how brave he is. Fighting for our country and all but... I think... Why him? Why'd my brother be the statistic that got hurt bad. "I don't know how he does it." I whisper, staring at the table. "He's a brave man." Brittany says, patting my arm. I sigh. "I wish he wasn't paralyzed." "Don't we all."

*The next day*

Miranda's pov

Me and Garret were listening to music at lunch, after having finished eating. "This song is a tear jerker." I say as Martina McBride's song God's will was playing. "I love this song." He says. "Me too."

Jason's pov

I tell Danny about Britt being pregnant. "Whoa. I thought she couldn't." "That's what the doctor always said but sometimes we just get lucky. The kids are excited. Chris especially wants a little brother." He smiles. "That's awesome man. I hope he gets a little brother." Brittany calls. "Hey babe what's up?" "Jason, we need to talk about Chris." Uh... "What happened?" "He got in a fight at school." Oh man. "I'm on my way Britt." I get back home. "I had to!" Chris defensively shouts. "We'll discuss it when your father gets home." "I am home." I say walking into the living room. "I didn't start it mom!" He gasps. "Ok from the beginning tell me what happened?" "I was at lunch and this kid who's got a disability, he uses a walker was stuck in the doorway to get lunch. So this other guy was shoving him and crap." Whoa. "I told him to knock it off and I tried to help the kid get unstuck but then the bully punched me in the head and threw me to the floor. That's how we got in a fight." "You aren't in trouble then." I say. "Not according to the school. The other kid claims he started it." "HE'S LYING!" "I believe you, Chris. Calm down." "What do we do though, Jason. This other kid's parents wanna press charges on Chris for the fight!" "Well they'll lose if they try that shit. Cause I know what's right. My son would never start a fight. But I taught him to always finish one." "And that's what I did!" "It's gonna be okay, Chris. Where's Miranda?" "With Garret. They're at his house." I sigh frustrated. "We'll figure this out."