Chapter 3

Miranda's pov

He takes me to a room. I throw my backpack and sit on the ground by the bed, pulling my legs to my chest. "Stay away from Chris." I whisper growl. "He doesn't deserve more heartbreak." He sits beside me but I scoot away. "I'm not gonna give you back." He says. "That's what they all say!" I snap, glaring at him. "Miranda I promise-" I cover my ears to drown him out. "Leave me alone!" I shout, my ears still covered. Finally he leaves and five minutes later, Chris walks in, still clutching his matchbox cars. He hugs me. "No cry, Sissy. No cry." He says. I sigh. I rub his back and he lays his head in my lap. "I'm so tired." I whisper, covering my eyes. The door opens. I hug Chris to me. "Come on out for dinner." The man says. "You're our new foster parents?" Chris asks, sucking his thumb. "Yeah." He says, bending down. "You hungry little guy?" I stare at him suspiciously. What's he trying to prove? He convinces my brother. But not me. "I'm not hungry." I grumble after Chris leaves. "You've got to be hungry honey. Come on. I promise I won't bite." I can't help but laugh a little. He smiles and I instantly let the smile fade from my face. He sits beside me. "Can we have a heart to heart talk?" I'm confused. I shrug. "Honey I know lots of people have given up on you but I won't." "I don't believe you." I say, crossing my arms and looking away. "Well I'll prove it to you." He stands up and leaves. Five minutes later, he comes back with my brother in tow and a few plates of food. The woman spreads a blanket. I don't want to get close to these people. He gently takes hold of my hand. "Join us for dinner." He says. "I said I'm not hungry!" I shout slapping the plate out of his hand and running out of the room and out of the house. My heart is racing.

Jason's pov

I sigh and clean up the mess. "She's gonna take alot of work." I say worried. "Trust is a bizarre concept. It's easy to lose and hard to get back." Brittany says, patting Chris's head. He smiles and hands her a matchbox car. "Cars boom?" He asks, holding up another. She smiles. "Well you keep an eye on little man. I'm gonna go see where Miranda ran off to." I walk outside, having heard the door slam. After a few minutes, I found her kicking rocks, pissed off. "Hey kiddo." She freezes and spins around. "Stay away from me! I hate you!" "Talk to me honey. Why do you hate me?" She takes a hesitant step back. "I'm scared." She whispers. "Scared of what?" I ask, walking closer. "I'm scared... Of... Of being happy." She shakily whispers. "Cause... Cause everytime I d-do.... Something b-bad happens." I hold her small shaking hand. "Nothing is going to happen to you. I swear I will not let them separate you and your brother." I smile. "Follow me. I wanna show ya something." I hold her hand as we walk into the woods. "Me and my little brother, he was adopted by the way, we had a treehouse in the woods back here. It was our sanctuary. Our escape from reality." Her small hand was shaking in mine. "I didn't have a troubled childhood like you did but I did have my fair share of wanting to get away and leave. So that's why me and Danny came here." We get to the treehouse. "I always said if me and Brittany ever had kids, I'd show them this treehouse." She looks up at it. "Just know I'm here to listen and to help. But if ya wanna get away, if everything is overwhelming you, this is a good place to go to cool down." I bend down to her eye level. "I know life's been hard on you. But remember the old saying. You've got to see some storms before you can admire the rainbow." "It feels like.... All my life has been one dark storm cloud." She whispers, rubbing her arm and looking at the ground. "I'm sick of everything. Of crying. Of running. Of being scared. I'm sick of hating everyone but.... I'm.... Way more scared of getting close to someone."

*A few days later*

I peek into Chris's room around bedtime. "And the itsy bitsy spider went up the spout again." Miranda says tickling Chris who laughs and grabs her hands. I smile and push the door open slightly. "Who wants a bedtime story?" She turns around, that same suspicious look on her face. "Dr. Seuss!" Chris gasps, pulling an old book out from his bag. "Dr. Seuss!" He says again, waving to me. I smile and sit beside him, scooping him into my lap. "Pitures." He says pointing. I smile. "Yeah lots of pictures." I post the bed beside us for Miranda to sit down but she shakes her head and backs up. I read the story to them then tuck him in. "Come on princess. I'll tuck you in too." "I'm fine." She says, crossing her arms. I force a smile and leave the room, not wanting to force her and upset her more. I peek in there though and she kissed Chris's head as he drifts off. "Don't get close." She whispers to herself. Poor kid. I head to my room after she goes to hers. "Hey Jason, Mike called. He said something about Tyler having a song for you." "I'll call him back tomorrow." I say laying down while she took her makeup off. "Man, Miranda's still scared of getting close to us." Brittany walks out of the bathroom. "We've gotta be patient." She says. "I know. I'm just worried fr the poor girl. I want her to be happy here." She sighs and pats my arm. "In due time, dear." I cross my hands behind my head. "I hope and pray they find a great family." "They will. Because we'll help them." She says, making me smile. "Thanks for being on board with this." "Of course!"