Chapter 64

Miranda's pov

Matilda was doing her homework with a big smile on her face. She loves school and learning and I love seeing how happy it makes her. "Did you know a hippopotamus is really territorial. They've got one of the strongest bite forces in the animal kingdom." She says as she does her science homework. "You've been learning about ecosystems, haven't you, Matilda?" I ask, rubbing my stomach as Garret rubbed my sore swollen feet. "Yeah we went over biomes and ecosystems today. I learned alot about the animals that live in each region." "She's so dang smart." Garrett says, smiling. "Hey do you want to feel one of your sisters?" I ask, feeling one of the babies kick. She excitedly walks over and rests a hand on my stomach. "Wow!" She gasps, feeling them kick. Suddenly there's a knock at the door. "Come on in." I call, hugging my young daughter. "Sorry we didn't call first!" Dad said walking inside with mom, Anna, and Ben. The little girl was like a mirror image of myself at that age. "Hey guys! What an awesome surprise!" I say. Garrett helps me sit up. Dad sits beside me. "How're the babies?" I point to my feet and he laughs. "Swollen?" He asks. I nod. "Hey do you guys want to feel the babies kick?" I ask. They seem a little apprehensive. Anna still seems angry. "Do ya mind if we have a little slumber party?" Mom asks, patting Matilda's head. I laugh and nod. "Show them the guest room honey." I say, hugging my husband. Garrett takes mom and the kids upstairs. "We're having trouble with Anna." Dad instantly says when they're out of ear shot. I was worried about that. "I want her to feel loved but I also want to find her a family." He says. "As much as I wanna adopt every little kid that comes into my house, it isn't possible." I love my daddy and his big heart. "I know you do dad and it's so awesome that you do." I hug him. "There's a perfect family for them yet." "I keep thinking about those kids that age out of the system." He says, worrying me. "What happens to them?" Oh man. "It usually doesn't end well. They don't have money for college, they didn't have enough support to get through school with good grades. Most turn into druggies or are homeless. It sucks but we can't save everyone." He looks sad. "I'm so worried for Anna." He says. "What's been going on?" "Every meet up, she throws things at them and yells and it's way worse than with you. I don't think I've ever seen anyone get as mad as she did the other day." "I know it's hard daddy but that's why I know you can be the one to save her. You've always been able to." He forces a sad smile. "I'm scared I can't." He says, worrying me beyond measure. "You... You aren't giving up... Are you?" He shakes his head quickly. "I'll never give up. You know that. I just.... I don't think I can find her a family who will adopt her. And you know my take on it, I won't separate siblings.... But if Anna never stops behaving the way she does, I have no idea how Ben will turn out." I fight back crying. "They'll get adopted. I know they will." I say, hugging him as tears fill my eyes. "I'm sorry baby girl. I shouldn't have come over." "Yes you should." I say.

*the next morning*

I wake up, after having not slept the greatest. I walk to the kitchen and see pancakes, eggs, bacon, and toast. Garret was at the stove. Dad was trying to give plates to the kids but Anna wouldn't let him. She shoved him back and threw the plate of food. "Go away!!!" She yelled. "I won't leave you, Anna!" He gasps, picking her up quickly because of the broken glass. She fights to get away from him. Gosh that poor little girl. "Hey dad. I'll take it from here." I say, walking over. She punches at him. "Come on." I say, grabbing her hand and pulling her out of the kitchen. She was fuming and crying at the same time. "Come on. We're going for a walk." I say, putting my flip flops on. She glares at me defiantly. "No way. I'm not leaving Ben." "Yes you are. Ben is in good hands. We need to talk." She glances back at the kitchen where I could hear Ben crying. She looked worried. "He'll be okay." I say, grabbing my scrapbook. She begrudgingly follows me. "I've been where you've been before." I say, leading her to a tree house dad and Garret built for Matilda. We climb into it. A little difficult being 8 months pregnant. She glares at me, arms crossed the whole time. I open the scrapbook and show her pictures of me and Chris when we were kids. "I gave up on adults back then. I ran away with my brother and that's where I met dad." I say, pointing to a picture of us fishing together. "Nobody wants us." She mutters. "That isn't true." I say. "Because my dad wants you. Otherwise he wouldn't be crying at night worrying about you. He wouldnt be wishing he could make the fear and pain you feel go away." She looked shocked. "What? What do you mean?" "When I was your age, he thought he failed me because of how unadoptable I was." She glares at the ground again. "So am I." She says. I shake my head and hug the little girl. "No you aren't. Nobody is ever and I mean EVER unadoptable. Sure it's alright to be scared and untrusting. I was the same way. I know the world didn't give you a very good chance in the beginning but now you've got one. My dad will never give up on you. And he will never let anyone take your brother away fr on you. Just like for me. He fought for me and my brother, and he's fighting for you too. You just gotta give him the chance you missed out on before." She started to cry. "I'm sorry! I'm such a bad girl!" "No you aren't!" I cry hugging her. "It's alright to be scared but the thing about being brave is fighting even though you're afraid. You fight through your fear for a better outcome. For you and for Ben." She was crying hard. "You're not a bad girl. You were never a bad girl!" "I've done terrible things to your dad." She says, shaking. I hold her in my lap. "He forgives you." "W-Why would he?" "Because you deserve it." I say, hugging her tight. She looked a little shocked. "Is th-that the babies?" I smile and nod, holding her hand against my stomach. "Do you feel them?" She nods, her hand shaking slightly. "It took me a long time to trust but you've always got someone in your corner now. Always." I say. The little girl smiles. "Thank you!" She says, hugging me.

*a few weeks later*

Jason's pov

We have a couple coming to interview for potential adoption. I'm always nervous. Anna was helping Britt give Ben a bath. It was pretty cute to see. But I'm surprised. Why isn't she mad? "Are you excited, Ben? We're gonna talk to some new people!" She says, lathering a squeegee to wash him with. Britt was smiling and watching. He splashes a little and some water gets on Britt. Both kids laugh, making me laugh. "Oh hey Anna, I got you a new dress." Brittany says, standing up. I smile and open the door wider, handing the dress to her. "Wow! It's beautiful! Thank you!" She cries, hugging me then Britt. Wow! I don't know what happened that changed her attitude but I love it. Just then the doorbell rings. I look over the railing to see Jeremy answer the door. Anna quickly gets her dress on as Brittany fixes her hair nice and pretty. I get Ben dried off and dressed. "Wow. Mrs. Brittany I l-look beautiful." She seemed stunned. My wonderful wife smiles. "You've always been beautiful Anna." She says, hugging the darling girl. I think today's the day.