Chapter 69: Loss And Revival

3rd Person POV

Everyone reappeared from the quantum tunnel, their suits disappearing as their missions had been complete.

"Hell, yeah. You're telling me that this actually worked?" Rhodey gloated as he held the orb in his hand. There was silent celebration and happy looks on the team's faces. Almost all their faces...

Link fell down onto his knees. Not a word left his mouth, and everyone looked at him in confusion. Then they noticed they were missing someone...

"Link. Clint." Bruce said their names, seeing no reaction from either of them. (Y/N) had at first been ecstatic after their mission had been a success and the fact he'd gotten to speak to Cosmo again. Now he looked like he'd seen a ghost.

"Where is Pietro?" (Y/N) asked as he stared at the two. Link refused to meet anyone's eyes, but Clint slowly looked at (Y/N) with tears still in his eyes. "No..." He whispered. The entire room was silent as the team learnt of their loss. So it wasn't a true victory...

(Y/N) fell down onto a knee, his eyes completely wide. No... no... not Pietro, too.

"Was Wanda really his last family member?" Tony whispered. The team sat out near the lake, feeling the pain of losing a friend for real rather than them being snapped.

"Biologically? Yes? Psychologically? Us." Steve answered. Thor walked over with a feeling of confusion in him.

"What?" He tilted his head.

"Huh?" Tony turned to him. "Just asked him a question."

"Yeah, no, you're acting like he's dead. Why are we acting like the boy is dead? We have the stones, right? As long as we have the stones... Cap, we can bring him back. Isn't that right? So, stop this shit. We're the Avengers. Get it together." Thor tried to reason, but everyone else knew that he was wrong.

"He's not coming back." Link stared out across the water. Thor just seemed to get even more confused.

"What's he... what?"

"It can't be undone. It can't." Link shook his head. Thor laughed at the statement, making Link clench his fists.

"Look, I'm sorry, no offence, but you're a very earthly being, okay? And we're talking about space magic. And "can't" seems very definitive. Don't you think?" Thor stared as he waited for a response. He was greeted by one all right. He was greeted by (Y/N)'s fist connecting with his jaw and knocking him down to the ground. Thor looked up at (Y/N) as he looked at him with a dark glare.

"Don't you dare shrug this off and act like everything is fine. For a guy who acts like he knows so much about the universe, you clearly don't understand how Infinity Stones work. So if you have nothing remorseful to say, then I suggest you shut the fuck up." (Y/N) growled. Thor glared back before silently agreeing and standing back up.

"It should've been me." Link had his head in his hands as he wished he had been the one to go down for the greater good.

"He sacrificed himself for us and for those who were snapped." Natasha lightly patted Link on the back, slowly looking to Clint who was sat down against a bench. Clint looked just a little better than Link at the moment.

"Then let's make it worth it." Bruce said, eliciting nods from everyone.

"We have to." (Y/N) said.

"We will."

Tony and Bruce controlled a set of small metallic claws, using them to carefully guide each Infinity Stone into a gauntlet that Tony had designed. The stones were pulled into their specific slots, being locked into them as Tony, Bruce, and Rocket looked at it.