Chapter 82: Memento

"No, I know. She does look shocked to meet the real us, doesn't she?" Agatha chuckled as she held her rabbit up to her ear. Wanda's eyes began to ignite red as she stared at the witch in front of her, attempting to read her mind.

"That's adorable. My thoughts are not available to you, toots." Agatha smiled at her. "They never, ever were. So don't go givin' yourself a migraine."

Wanda looked around the room in confusion as to what was going on. What was this place?

"Where are my children?"

"'Where are my children?'" Agatha mocked walking over and placing her pet down on a table. Agatha walked around one of many pillars so she was back to being in front of Wanda. "That accent really comes and goes, doesn't it?"

"Where are they?" Wanda thrust her hands forward in an attempt to use her powers. But nothing left her palms. No red magic, no magical little sounds. She looked at the back of her hands in confusion, backing up slightly as she realised she was powerless.

"Aw, poor little thing. Your magic's no good in here." Agatha responded with her own spell, binding Wanda's hands and feet before pulling her into a floating position in the centre of the room. While an amused look was on Agatha's face, it quickly changed to a pained on as she flung her hand up to look at it. A long cut rested along it as if she'd been scratched by claws. What was that about?

"Huh. I wonder if that was you or me." Agatha quickly stopped the bleeding and sealed the wound with a spell before looking back up at Wanda.

"Haven't you noticed? Basic protection spell, one in each wall?" Agatha pointed out. Wanda's head turned as she looked at each of the walls around her, seeing purple runes glow in them. "These are runes, Wanda. Surely you should know that. In a given space, only the witch that cast the runes can use her magic." Agatha paced around.

"Who are you?" Wanda looked at her as she stopped in front of her again.

"Who are you?" Agatha repeated the question. "All those costumes and hairstyles." She sighed as if everything that happened up until now was worth it. "I was so patient, waiting for you to reveal your true self. I got close with fake Pietro. Fietro, if you will, but no dice."

Wanda began to click on to what she was saying. "That was you."

"No, it wasn't literally me. Just my eyes and ears. A crystalline possession. Necromancy was a non-starter since your real brother's body is in another time entirely." Agatha walked around Wanda again. It was too bad she didn't have access to the real body.

"You're so crippled by your own self-doubt that you believed it." Agatha said like it was a once in a lifetime sight. Wanda was silent through the entire thing as she didn't even know what to say. "Oh, Wanda, oh, when I sensed this place, the afterglow of so many spells cast all at once... Oh, I couldn't make heads or tails of it."

"Then again. I had my choice between this place and the one your boyfriend created. But it seemed like he'd be quite a hassle to manipulate compared to you." Agatha tapped her jaw as she recalled her decision.

"What did you say?" Wanda stared her down.

"Oh, honey. You've been so caught up in your little charade that you never sensed that other anomaly?" Agatha chuckled at her. "I had my choice between the Scarlet Witch and the Cerulean Sorcerer. Salt and pepper. Red and blue. But personally I prefer red."

"What are you talking about?" Wanda's voice cracked slightly.

"Did you hear nothing of why I just said? Your boyfriend is alive and well, he's just in another state. Must be quite heartbreaking for him to see you living your life with someone that looks like him but isn't." Agatha shrugged. Sounded like quite a well of depression. She could still see an expression on Wanda's face like she was hesitant to believe the news, but it didn't really matter.