Chapter 27: The Winter Soldier

3rd Person POV

Steve had left to London, telling you that a 'close friend' had passed away. While you wanted a little more information, you weren't going to press him, instead wishing him well and giving him your sympathy. Natasha was in Vienna to overlook the ratification of the accords. Sam was with Steve, and everyone else was god knows where. You were left in the compound with Vision, Wanda, Pietro, and Tony for now.

"Hey, kid." Tony called out to you and you looked up from your thoughts. Tony stood in the doorway to your bedroom, entering after he had caught your attention.

"What's up?" You rubbed your left eye. Tony grabbed the office chair that was placed at your desk, moving it over so he could sit in front of you.

"I need to ask a favour, but you're not gonna like it." Tony started. Holding his hands together as he awaited your response.

"When do I ever like something?" You sighed, laying back.

"Not sure about something, but I know of a someone." Tony hinted with an invisible smirk. You shot up into a seated position again so that you could glare at him, making him chuckle. "Look, I'm about to leave. Flash in there is about to go meet Steve." He motioned to the door, implying that he meant Pietro. "I need you to watch the girl."

"What's that supposed to mean? I'm not a babysitter and she's not a child." You combed a hand through your hair as you squinted at Tony. You were unsure what he was getting at.

"Look. After everything that happened in Lagos, I don't want her to leave the compound. Just do me a solid and keep her from disappearing anywhere." Tony sat back in the chair as he finished. Looking down and fiddling with some sort of bracelet on his wrist.

"I'm pretty sure she can handle herself. If you're thinking someone's gonna try something because of what happened, I doubt they'll do very well." You yawned. Tony looked like he was about to say something, most likely a counter to your argument. But he paused. Rethinking what he was going to say then speaking.

"Y/N, just how do you think a situation like that would be handled? An Avenger attacking a civilian? Even in self defence, that would kick us in the shins and ruin the public image of us." Tony explained, shifting uncomfortably as you continued to give a carefree attitude.

"I don't see Wanda just attacking people for threatening her. That's not how she is." You responded, still seeing no point to why he wanted you to watch over her.

"And just how do you think she'd fare if she wasn't to use her powers... If she was the one attacked?" Tony sat forward, speaking slowly and trying to get his point across.

"It wouldn't matter how she'd fare, because by the time anyone had come within a meter of her with malicious intent, I'd have torn out their throat." You narrowed your eyes, feeling your nails shift as you listened.

"See, that's exactly my point. There's no outcome where we all get off Scot free. Just please do this for me, will you?" Tony looked at you with a pleading expression. You didn't know why, but you'd already made up your mind in just the last few seconds. A rather quick decision and rather unexpected twist.

"Fine, I'll do it. But, I'm not exactly gonna feel good about it." You remarked, reaching your hand out to your remote as Tony stood up happily.

"Thank you... Now do me a favour and don't do anything stupid while I'm gone." Tony said as he walked to the door.

"How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you." You shook your head as Tony left, closing the door with a faint laugh coming from behind the closed entrance. You switched on the tv, finding an unexpected piece of news.