Letters

(Suicidal thoughts and blood quill scene.)

Melody and Haylee were headed to their detention with Umbridge, which they were not looking forward to. They walked into an all-pink office, and Haylee nearly vomited at the sight. They both sat down.

"You will be writing some lines for me..." Umbridge gave them two pieces of parchments. The two reached in their bags to pull out quills, but Umbridge stopped them. "No, not with your quills. Going to be using a rather special one of mine." Umbridge handed both the girls quills. Haylee looked at her suspiciously but accepted the quill anyway. "I want you to write, 'I must keep my mouth shut.'"

"How many times?" They asked in unison.

"Well... let's say as long as it takes for the message to sink in."

"Ink?"

"Oh, you wouldn't need any ink," Umbridge replied quickly.

Haylee looked at Umbridge skeptically but continued. The two started writing. Haylee started early, so she had more lines written down. Her hand began twitching, and she felt something scrape against it. She looked at her hand to see, 'I must keep my mouth shut' carved. Once she realized what was happening, she shook her head for Melody to stop writing, but it was too late; the words were already cut on her wrist.

Umbridge noticed and dismissed them to leave. The two girls dashed out of the office without a second thought.

"That lady is insane," said Haylee.

"Tell me about it. She realizes she's going to get fired, right?" Melody asked her.

"Fudge won't allow it for some odd reason. If McGonagall were to fire her, Fudge would just reinstate her," she explained. "I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd rather have Snape as our DADA teacher."

Haylee and Melody separated; Haylee to the dungeons, Melody to the Gryffindor common room. Once Melody walked, in she immediately started for her dorm, but someone caught her. Harry.

"Sorry, can we postpone this conversation for like five minutes?" Melody asked anxiously.

"No, if I don't say anything now, I'll never say anything," he said determinedly. He pulled her hands out from her pocket to hold them but stopped when he felt his thumb trace over the words carved on her hand. "Who did this to you?" He frowned.

When he looked at her like that, she knew she had to tell the truth.
"Umbridge. Haylee's is much worse," she waved off.

"I don't understand. Why would she do this to you?"

"I don't know. But this mark isn't going to cover itself."

"You're gonna report her, right?" He asked.

"I can. Fudge will just reinstate her, though."

He sighs in defeat. "Okay," he says to her.

=||=

Melody was walking back from her last class when she bumped into Elijah. She was so excited to see him-too excited to see him. Something about his face felt familiar and warm.

"Hey, where are you headed?" Asked Elijah.

"Usually, the Gryffindor quidditch team practices for tryouts. Thought I'd cheer on some of my friends," she answered. "What about you?"

"Detention with Umbridge. It was the dumbest reason too," he said.

"Don't use her quills. They'll leave scars on your hand."