I Know

The rest of the week was filled with people asking others to the Yule Ball. Elijah asked Melody to go as friends since neither of them could go with who they wanted. As of now, the four were sitting in The Great Hall.

"Well, Hermione, you're a girl," Ron stated.

"Well spotted."

"It's one thing for a guy to show up alone. For a girl, it's just sad," Ron concluded. Melody's head shot up from her paper as soon as Ron said that.

"I won't be going alone because, believe it or not, someone's asked me," she replied quickly. Hermione stormed up to Snape and handed him her work.

"Idiot," Melody muttered.

"What was that? You don't have a date to the ball either," said Ron.

"I do have a date. And Hermione shouldn't be asked as a last resort," Melody responded.

The only reason Harry wasn't upset was that he understood that Elijah asked first. He also understood that Elijah does not fancy Melody, nor did she; him.

Hermione came back and hissed, "And I said yes." She stormed off again.

"Bloody hell," Ron muttered. "She's lying, right?"

"If you say so," Harry said unconvincingly.

Ron and Harry agreed to get dates to the Yule Ball. On Melody's end, they both looked pathetic.

"The Patil twins still don't have dates. Maybe you could ask them." Melody suggested. "Better make it quick; the ball is one week away."

Snape came from behind the two boys and smacked them on the back of their heads, causing Melody to snicker. Snape sent Melody a glare, and she immediately shut up.

Umbridge walked into the hall. "I would be more than happy to take your place moderating the hall," Umbridge said.

"You already took my position," Snape said slowly. "I'll be doing my job. You can go now." Umbridge left with a huff.

"Also, Melody, I've meant to ask you if you wanted to go to Hogsmeade after the holidays... like a date," Harry said quietly.

"Sure, just tell me what day so I'll be ready," she beamed. Harry smiled to himself proudly.

Ron faked a gagging noise and said, "Get a room."

"Maybe we should," Melody joked. Harry turned a bright pink shade. Melody noticed Harry's reaction and said, "Relax, I'm joking."
"I'm going to go turn in my work. See you later." Melody went up to Snape and turned her work in, and left the hall.

When Melody stepped outside the hall, she was approached by none other than Draco Malfoy. Melody's eyebrows shot up. She was surprised that he even wanted to talk to her.

"You still hate me?" Melody said sarcastically.

"I don't hate you, but I don't necessarily like you," Malfoy rolled his eyes. "Anyway, I have information for you. Something about Umbridge and why she's doing that." He gestured towards her carved wrist.

"Oh?" Melody said, suddenly interested.

"When your parents were being cleared of all charges, they had a voting: Azkaban or go free. Umbridge voted against your parents and made a whole speech about it. Obviously, odds didn't come in her favor. She took her anger out on you."

"And why is she doing this just now?"

"Now that, I don't know."

"You know, for someone that dislikes me..." Melody said in emphasizing. "You sure do tell me a lot."

Malfoy scoffed and said, "it's the decent thing to do."

"But you're not decent."

Malfoy chuckled and said, "I can be decent, believe it or not." He rolled his eyes. "I should be going." He continued his way down the hall.

Harry approached Melody later and draped his arms around her torso from behind. He placed his head in the crook of her neck and said, "I finished my work, and I am all yours for the remainder of the day."

Melody turned her head in Harry's direction and pecked him on the lips. "Sorry, no can do. I have detention with Umbitch. You'll have to entertain yourself, unfortunately," Melody looked back down at her schedule.

"What happened?" Harry frowned.

"Apparently, she says I'm flirting during her class with Dean," she laughed.

Harry wasn't even paying attention to what Melody was saying at all. He was memorizing her face, once again. Her laugh. Her smile. Just her. And how she was finally his. How he could call Melody his girlfriend. He was snapped out of his thoughts by Melody.

"Earth to Harry." Melody waved her free hand in his face to get his attention.

"Sorry."

"I have to go, see you." She pecked him on the lips again before taking off.

-
Harry was now in the library with Hermione and Ron. Hermione was reading a book she refused to tell anyone about until now.

Hermione leaned in closer to Harry and Ron so she could tell them what she learned. "Have you ever thought it's strange that Melody could kill someone and just not feel guilty about it?"

"Honestly, at one point, she scared me," Ron whispered. "I know she didn't mean it."

"It kind of scares me," Harry admitted. "I just wish she would talk to someone about it, if not me someone."

"Well, I read a-" Hermione

"Book," Ron interrupted.

"Yes, anyway. I found that people who have been through traumatic events result in hiding the memory in a part of their brain."

"Do you hide it with magic or..." Harry trails off.

"No, it's just mental," Hermione shrugged. "I bet if something could get her to open up, the memory will come out of hiding."

"How would I do that?"

"I don't think you can, Harry. You could try; I doubt it'll get you anywhere." She shook her head. "She needs something that would trigger her, like a word."

"Well, what word-or words," asked Ron.

"Maybe something telling her what she did was wrong." Harry tried to object, but Hermione continued. "I know-I know it was self-defense. But it will trigger her, Harry."

Harry hesitated before saying, "Why does she have to be 'triggered'. Why can't she just not confront it?"

Hermione smacked him on the head with a newspaper. "Harry!"

"I'm serious! What's the point?"

"She'll never truly be herself unless she does. Harry, I know you like-love her, but it has to happen."

"I know," he sighed.