Apology

The Red Ferrari drove into the parking lot sometime around Five. From the cafe counter where I stood taking orders, I could see him inside the car, through the glass. Lucas kept yanking his hand through his hair, and I could tell that he was nervous, which was weird because I only saw the asshole side of him, and it was hard for me to believe he ever got nervous too.

As usual, we had only a few customers to attend to before my shift was over. At 6 pm, my shift was over, and I was replaced by one of the new girls that had joined the cafe recently. I changed my clothes quickly and headed out through the back door.

Just like the last time, he leaned on the car, waiting for me like a creepy stalker. I tried to push my dislike for him to the back of my mind. He was the only thing that stood between me and the bullet from Baron's gun. As much as I did not like him, I did not have a choice.

"Hey," he said with a small smile as I approached him like we had been friends forever.

"Hmm," was my simple reply. There was no need to pretend that we liked each other. I folded my hand across my chest and looked at him with the face I had practiced over the years. Not a frown, not a smile. A 'let's just get this done with' face.

"Can I give you a ride as we talk?" he asked with his attention focused on me. That was odd, first the way he greeted me, now offering to give me a ride?

"Why are you being nice today?" I questioned, glaring back at him.

He smiled tentatively again and held the door open for me. "Please, let's just talk inside the car."

I must have heard wrong because I could not have heard this asshole say 'please,' could I? I looked at him with my brows raised as he held the door open. "You're not trying to murder me, are you?"

"Of course not," he said too nicely in a way that made me uncomfortable.

I brought out my phone and quickly took a picture of him before he could realize what I was doing. Celine and I had the habit of sending each other pictures of the person we were with, especially if they were creepy or weird. It was something we learned from a girl that went to a club next to the hotel where we worked.

She had sent a guy's picture to her friend telling her she was going home with him, and when she did not come back the next few days, her friend had gone to the cops with the message.

"What was that for?" he asked.

"Call...the...cops...if...I...do...not...come...back...tonight..." I echoed as I typed the message to Celine. I looked up from my phone and looked at him with a fake smile. "Also, if you try to do anything funny with me, I have a taser, and I assure you, it is very painful."

He chuckled lightly as I entered the car gracefully, and I could tell that his laugh was fake too, just like his smile.

He went around to the other side of the car and entered too.

"What do you want from me?" I asked as we left the parking lot to the main road. I did not bother to hide the annoyance in my tone. I figured the best way to go about this was to make him think he still needed me more than I needed him. That way I would still have the upper hand.

"I came here to apologize again," he said, with his eyes glancing between the road and me.

"You say 'again' as if you apologized before." my face had settled into a frown.

"But yester..."

"Don't..." I cut him off, "don't even call what you did an apology. That was you justifying your reason."