Trouble in Paradise

Lucas's side of the bed was empty when I woke up. The water had risen significantly when we returned from the waterfall and as magical as it seemed, it would be suicide to attempt to sleep on the beach tonight. I bit back a yawn, stretching as I adjusted my eyes to the darkness.

My muscles ached deliciously, my body remembering all the ways Lucas had taken me after we returned from our adventurous day. It was all marathon sex, followed by lunch, then swimming, and repeat.

Wrapping the duvet around my clothless body, I threw my legs over the bed and paddled my way through the small cottage in search of Lucas. A glowing fire outside caught my attention, informing me just where he was as I stood out at the porch.

I found him sitting on the white sand, some meters away from the fire. Taking a few tentative steps from behind him, I lingered on a tree, drinking in the sight of him. The shape of his strong muscled figure was carved out in the darkness lit by the fire, leaving only a vague picture of him. He took a slow sip from a glass in his hand, as he watched the waves advance and recede.

The reflection of the moon swayed with every move, huge and bright and glistening in the dark.

"So your skills also extend to fire-making too," I said with a little amusement as I approached him, dopping next to him.

The glass paused halfway to his lips as he regarded me with a bemused smile. "You should be sleeping, after our long day you need to rest."

"I was sleeping until I realized you weren't next to me."

He took a strand of my hair swirling in the wind and tucked it behind my ear. "I'm sorry Muffin, I needed some air and didn't want to wake you."

"There's no need to apologize. You're right anyways, I needed some sleep." I unwrapped the duvet around my body and set it on the sand behind us. "But I don't mind watching the midnight stars with my amazing boyfriend."

With his brows raised, he gave me an amused smile—one that did not reach his eyes. I played face-up on the sheet, with my hand behind my head—my body on full display for him. "Why do I see a secret motive there? Your body cannot handle another orgasm without proper sleep."

"Sadly, there's none," I giggled, shifting closer to him, "I just want to look at the stars with you."

He settled next to me, pulling me close with his arms around my body, and kissed me. "Well, that I can do."

We lapsed into silence over the next few minutes, watching the little diamond twinkles in the sky. While the stars were a good distraction, I could not shake off the feeling that Lucas was upset, or maybe distracted. Actually, after a few more minutes, I realized he was nervous.

"Isn't it amazing," I started, trying to seek out his thoughts. "I never imagined the sky would look so fascinating without artificial lights in its way. It's even more beautiful than it looked from the telescope."

"It's like a large blanket,"

I scrunched my brows together in amused confusion, "Blanket?"

"Yeah. I like to think that no matter where I am, I'm under this large blanket with those I love so I'm always close to them."

After giving it a second's thought I digested his words. "That's so beautifully thought out. Remember the first time we kissed?" who would have thought taking that leap would bring us here.

A smile lit upon his face as I brought that night up. "You know I never in a thousand years would have imagined we would come this far when I hired you to be the nanny."

"Me neither," I chuckled, "God I hated you then." I clamped my mouth shut as I realized that was probably the wrong way to put it.

"It's okay," Lucas laughed, another hollow laugh that did not reach his eyes, "I deserved it"