First Gift

After lunch at the cafe, we went spent the rest of the day back at Celine's house watching funny tv shows, drinking some very expensive wine her boss had given her as a gift, and engaging in some more harmless gossip. Celine had even tried to convince me to stay the night over. That, of course, was impossible because Lucas would totally flip if I left the kids for one night without informing him, plus I missed them already. She was adamant, and I had to bribe her with fresh gossip if anything happened between Lucas and me.

"You'll call me when you get back right?" she asked as we walked out of her apartment complex.

"Yes, Nicole, for the hundredth time, I will call you."

"I've only asked 3 times," she chuckled.

"Same thing," I laughed too. As we walked down, the first thing that caught my eye was the beautiful man leaning on the red Ferrari across the street, arms folded, scrolling through his phone at the parking lot. "No, he didn't," I muttered.

"What?" Celine asked, and I turned my head toward Lucas. "Who is he?"

"Asshole boss, otherwise known as Lucas Maxwell." I snorted.

"What, that's him?" she gasped.

"Yes, now stop hyperventilating C," I said exaggeratedly.

"I will hyperventilate because fuck that man is fire." she squealed.

"Lower your voice, he's not that far." Lucas was still on his phone, his attention undivided, and he only released his arms, to adjust his baseball hat. He looked almost casual in the blue jean and white t-shirt that did nothing to hide his trim perfectly muscled body.

"I bet angels get jealous when they look at him because..."

"he's an asshole." I completed.

"A sexy asshole, yeah."

"Why don't we make an exchange, I take your boss, and you take mine," I wiggled my brows ruefully.

"Keep your eyes and hands off my man." she shot quickly, giving me a sharp look, and soon enough, we were rolling with laughter.

"Let's just go find out what he wants."

We walked to the road and crossed over to meet him. He did not bother raising his head as we approached him, and I questioned my earlier conclusion that he had not seen us coming.

"Took you long enough," he said without raising his head from his phone.

"What are you even doing here," I demanded.

"We need to go somewhere," he straightened and shoved his phone in his pocket, finally meeting my eyes.

"Where are we going," I asked, as he stepped closer.

"You'll see, let's get going."

"Hello," Celine said, interrupting me from further protest.

"Hi," Lucas replied in his deep gruff voice.

I had almost forgotten that she was standing right there. "Um... this is Celine, my best friend. Celine, this is my boss." I emphasized the boss, adding a silent asshole, and Celine seemed to get the message, as she swallowed a snicker.

She stretched her hand out, and to my surprise, he took it with no hesitation. I guess I'm the only one he enjoys being an asshole around, I thought. But then again, not everyone shares a face with the woman he seems to hate.

"Lucas Maxwell," he said, as he gave her hand a firm shake.

"I know," Celine said with a smile, and my eyes widened in shock at her next words, "my friend here has told me all about you,"