The kids

"Open up," Lucas said holding the fork to my mouth. It was the second time he had insisted on feeding me as we sat for breakfast this morning.

"You do know I can feed myself," I giggled but opened my mouth anyways.

"I never said you couldn't, I enjoy taking care of you,"

His words made my heart melt as he smeared some watermelon into my mouth. I attempted to speak but ended up sending juices trickling down my chin. Lucas wiped it softly with the pad of his thumb and brought it to his lips, licking off whatever remained. It was sexy as fuck.

"Daddy, what about me?" Abby cried from where she sat opposite Aiden on her side of the table. "You didn't feed me too."

"Come here you little princess," he gave a beaming smile and got to his feet, turning around to feed Abby a piece of her cheesecake.

"Mmmm," she giggled at the sweet taste, "it's so sweet."

"Just like you, my sweet little angel," after giving her a small kiss on her forehead, he attempted to feed Aiden too.

"Dad, I'm a big boy, you can only feed little girls." he grinned as he spoke with pride.

Lucas ruffled his hair with a chuckle. "My little genius is growing up so fast."

After taking his seat, he took my hand again and brought it to his lips this time. I could tell he had something to say, yet I was not fully prepared for what he said. "Kids, Chris and I have something important to tell you."

"Okay," they chorused together but their attention was more focused on their food.

I raised my brow, wondering what he was going to say, but he just gave a reassuring nod and turned back to the kids. "Chris and I," he cleared his throat softly and gave me a look full of adoration before going on. "Chris is my girlfriend, I would like you both to know that Chris is my girlfriend."

I held my breath for the next few seconds of silence as the kids absorbed the information that had just been giving to them. I had been avoiding this part just because what if the kids do not want me dating their dad. I knew Lucas loved me and I loved him too, but in the end, a great part of his decision would be dependent on what the kids wanted and there really was nothing I could do to change that. He adored his kids and they would always come first for him. I understood that and if anything I loved him even more for it.

"Does that mean Chris will stay with us forever?" Abby asked first. Her blue innocent eyes widened and shone with hope and anticipation that made my heart overflow with more love for her.

"I think Chris is in a better position to answer that." Lucas turned his attention to me, eyes silently pleading for me to say yes.

It was a promise that would carry more weight than just agreeing to be there for them always as their nanny. The kids had gone through the pain of abandonment before and even if they were not old enough to understand what that meant it had affected almost every aspect of their life until now. I knew if I was going to say yes, I was not just saying yes to Lucas I was saying yes to always being there for them. The weight of such a promise would have scared me away any other day but not when I had everything I have ever needed right here within my reach. Close enough for me to reach and hug them or kiss them or tell them how much they each meant to me. And I would be dammed if I let something so special slip through my hands.

So I nodded and said a croaked "yes, it means I'll always be here." willing myself to keep the tears at bay.

The twins gave a relieved sigh and I realized I was not the only one holding my breath. After another beat of silence, most of which I spent watching the kids as they ate their food, Lucas asked, "So that's okay with you both?"