The birthday baby

Gone were the charming smiles, playful kisses, and easiness. As the plane touched ground with the runway my nerves spiked up, nearly shooting through me. Lucas was just as uneasy but he was doing a better job than me.

By the time we arrived at the estate, I had already imagined all the worst-case scenarios possible. It didn't help that no one was picking up the phone. So yes, I was going crazy. I followed Lucas's lead as he burst past the large french doors, expecting to see anything except Robin waiting in the lobby for us.

"Where are they?" Lucas asked, not bothering to go through any pleasantries with his brother.

"Mia took them out," Robin explained, looking just as jittery, "there's a fare in town today."

"And you let them go?" It was the first time Lucas had been anything close to pissed since we left the island.

I placed a hand on his shoulder, rubbing gently.

"I'm sorry I didn't know it was in my place to tell them that your psycho ex-wife was on the loose again."

"Robin!" Lucas warned.

Ignoring his brother's outrage, Robin turned to me, "Hey Christine, I'm sorry your getaway had to be cut short by this," with a glare at Lucas he added, "even though I made it clear to my brother there was really nothing to worry about."

I shared a confused look between them, "but there was a security breach right?"

"A trespassing rabbit tripped the alarm system on the fence, I would have explained that if Lucas had given me the chance to, again I'm sorry."

"It's alright, I just need to know the kids and everyone is safe here."

Robin glanced at his watch and then back at me, "you'll be finding out in an hour."

"That's enough time," Lucas spoke, "I want to see the security footage in the last 42 hours."

"Man I told you it was nothing important." Robin sighed.

"A mysterious rabbit sets off the alarm me day Sarah gets released?" he scoffed, "I don't believe in such coincidences."

"Alright if it'll put you at ease..." Robin shrugged, leading the way further down the lobby.

"I'll unpack our suitcases," I said, making a beeline for the stairs.

"No, please pack the kid's suitcases instead." Lucas stopped me, "no matter the outcome of the footage, we're going back home tomorrow."

I did not completely agree with Lucas at this point, but I knew he was only being a worried dad. Thankfully, Robin spoke before I could utter a protest, "Dude, relax. My daughter is here too and if I had the slightest feeling that it was unsafe for the kids here, we'd been on the flight back home yesterday. For all, we know Sarah is too busy thinking of getting a good lawyer for her case."

"For all, we know she's probably plotting her revenge for having her thrown in jail."

***

The sun had already started to set when the kids returned about an hour later. I left the rest of the packing to the help Lucas had sent to join me. Relief swirled in my heart as I heard their playful cries bouncing off the walls with every step they took closer. I could make out from their conversation that they had gotten new toys.

It took a moment before they noticed me standing at the foot of the stairs.

"Chris!" they echoed together in an excited squeal, their carnival painted faces expressing their surprise.