Office romance

Lucas had his hand looped in mine as we walked into the conference room. My eyes scanned the room quickly in search of a familiar face to make me feel a little less nervous. I sighed in relief as I saw the familiar blonde-haired younger brother of Lucas.

He sat next to the chair I assumed to be Lucas's with a boyish grin that made my lip curl into a smile too. I attempted to release my hand from Lucas's but he held me tighter as he moved to the head of the conference room.

"I can just observe from the back of the hall," I whispered. Everyone had their eyes on us, and I could only imagine what must be going through their brains as they watched us.

"Nope," he said and pulled out a seat for me next to his. I gave a small smile and sat facing Robin. His encouraging smile did a lot to boost my confidence.

Lucas took his seat at the head of the board and assumed his work demeanor again. "Good morning all."

They all chorused a greeting back and Robin got up to pull up the video call from the large screen facing the 24 person table. "We have a call from the Millan branch," Robin started, "a problem actually,"

"We had to fix a problem there less than a month ago, what is it this time?" Lucas asked in a gruff voice.

"It's a security breach," one of the men that sat at the far end explained.

"Roll up Davino," Lucas said and Robin received the incoming call.

I made a mental note to not say a word and just pay attention as they worked. It took a few seconds to have the call connected, most of which I used to admire how handsome Lucas looked even when he had that frown on. An older-looking man finally popped up on the big screen, drawing everyone's attention.

"Salut Signore Maxwell!" the man said in a thick french accent.

I looked at Lucas in confusion but he gave a reassuring nod before speaking, "Good morning Davino. We have a guest in our midst this morning so the meeting today would be conducted in English only."

"Of course sir," the man said.

"Get on to the situation report" he demanded.

"Several files went missing last week after your order to replace a few of those staff under the fraud case. They're are still stored under the company's database, but we fear that they might have fallen into the wrong hands."

"So you're saying these files were taken by ex-employees at Binarid?" Robin asked with a frown.

"That is what we suspect." the man explained.

"You realize that most of those files have our client's delicate information, do you?" Lucas said in a clipped tone.

"It would be a catastrophe if even one made it to the public." a woman next to me said. "We could get sued for violation of privacy and lose millions on our stock."

"We are trying..."

"Trying apparently is not solving anything," Lucas interjected. "if this news has to be brought to me, you are not putting in enough to fix this." Lucas pinched the bridge of his nose and threw his head back in frustration. I ached to reach out and touch him, but with the murmurs and frowns on everyone's faces, I knew the situation was very serious and it was probably not the best time to make that move yet. "How the hell did a former employee have access to those files Davino?"

"I would take the blame for that sir," the man said in a tone full of apologies, "I dismissed them in a rage that day and it skipped my mind to follow the regular procedure of staff dismissal."