Finally over

Every story I'd heard about the afterlife was a big fat lie. There were no angels in white robes, no opera waiting to usher me into the gates of heaven but then again who said I was going to heaven. The pain shooting up my body felt everything like hell, or at least I knew the one coming would. I clamp my eyes closed tighter as I lay on the floor in what I know is my pool of blood, waiting for the pain I hope to come. She succeeded and I let her win, I let Sarah shoot me. There was no longer going to be the amazing sex with Lucas, no spending afternoons with the kids, no harmless gossips disguised as Sunday lunch dates with my best friend. No more of Lucas's family, all of that was now simply gone, just gone.

The thought left a hot burning scar on my throat and I gasped, fighting to take in the air that was not coming. This really was it, I had lost and she had won. But the arms suddenly wrapping me in a warm embrace felt too familiar to be related to the icy feeling of dying.

"Chris?!"

I know that voice, but it was the horror and worry in it that confused me most. And then came the prodding, vibrations wracking through my body as the arms around me shook my body desperately. "Muffin, please wake up!" I heard the voice again and for the second time, I found myself being drawn out of the deep crushing darkness into the warmth of his light.

My eyes fluttered open to the beautiful sight of Lucas' face. The pain reflected in his features, did nothing to hide how breathtaking the man was, holding me in his arms with my body sprawled on the cold concrete floor and my head in his lap.

His eyes widened as he realized I was awake, and a tear escaped. Oh my God, he was crying. Were those tears from fear of losing me seconds ago or joy for having me back now? I could not tell, but I knew at that moment I fell even more in love with Lucas though I didn't think that was even possible.

"Baby,"' I choked out, attempting to reach for his face. His hand met mine halfway and he raised his head to bark, "Water!" to someone.

"I don't think it's wise to give her any water yet until we make sure she's alright," came a voice from above me. I craned my neck to see who it was. Although he did not have the usual uniform on, I could still recognize him from hours of planning this afternoon.

Lucas' eyes scanned my body sharply, doing what I presumed was a search for any wounds on me. "I'm fine," I said quickly, realizing for the second time that there was no forthcoming pain. But there was a gunshot and Sarah unmistakably standing over me with a gun. More confusion settled in as I attempted to sit up but almost dropped right back on the slippery surface under my arm. I risked a look and gasped in horror at the pool of blood beneath me.

"It's not yours," Lucas said, his eyes following my gaze and then drifting an inch away, where a white tarp lay over what I presumed to be a body. My eyes widened as I took in the view around me for the first time. There was a commotion of men in uniforms racing back and forth, two men crouched low over the tarp, assessing the view and in the distance, I could hear the sounds of more sirens most likely an ambulance.

Through the blue and red lights flashing outside, I spotted Celine where she stood at the entrance, a shawl wrapped over her body as a cop with a small note and pen spoke to her. Her eyes drifted to where I sat on the floor and a hopeful smile crawled up her face. I gave her a smile I hoped translated to I'm fine and continued scanning the room.
Lucas helped us both to our feet, barking again for someone to bring me some water as he took off his jacket to wrap around me. It was a gesture I was very grateful for because one of the men crouching over Sarah's body—a detective I presumed— chose that moment to raise the tarp, and I shivered at the sight before me.

Baron came into view before I could ask Lucas what had happened and how long I had been out. Despite being in Lucas' arms, it took some restraint will to hold myself back from flinching at the mere sight of him and it also helped that he was being jerked forward, hands cuffed behind him as another cop, explained some protocols to him.