Threats

I sat with my back on the headboard while Aiden and Abby lay on either side of me, with their heads leaning against me as I told them as much as I could remember from one of the bedtime stories Celine and I were usually forced to sit through back at the foster home. We always found it boring and would be among the first kids to do off before she even read two lines from the story, the other kids would fall closely behind, it was that dreadful. But tonight, the kids found my old, half-complete, gap-filled story fascinating enough to listen to as I tried to lull them to sleep.

After today, they needed the assuring warmth from someone they could trust and I did not mind providing just that for them.

The door creaked open and Lucas's large form filled the doorway. He had gone with dad and Rob to the nearby police station to fill out details that would help keep Sarah locked away for a while. If all went well, she was going to be sued by Calvin for trespassing, violent assault and by Lucas, well her list of crimes was pretty long.

I felt a sort of relief as she was dragged away like a criminal when the cops came over. She rained curses and threats directed at me. But the one that stood out the most to me was:

"Don't think you are seeing the last of me you snake. I'll be back before you blink twice, that's a promise"

Well, when I blinked twice she was gone so...

It was hard to believe we were sisters, in any way. We were so damn different and now I could understand what Lucas was talking about when he would say, "how can two people look alike and be so different?" Then again we were both raised in two different worlds apart from each other, with two different fathers and she was at least two years older than me.

We would make the perfect twins, Sarah being the evil and vengeful twin and me being the twin that just wants some peace with the man she loves and the two kids she adores most on the planet.

At least, there was going to be some peace from her for a while. I was not going to pretend I wanted to be the better person and try to form a relationship with my long lost sister, because quite frankly, my life was perfect when I was my only family and I wished more than anything that she would disappear suddenly so I could go back to being that again.

"Daddy," Aiden mumbled dreamily, at the sight of his dad.

Abby who was half asleep and had not seen him earlier came back to consciousness. "Daddy!," she managed to sound enthusiastic, but tiredness was written all over her. Celine had worked them to a frenzy, making them run around with her as they had their dessert. It worked to make them more relaxed and less worried about their psycho mother trying to kidnap them, but they easily got sleepy afterward.

"Hey hey," he said softly, moving closer to them. I knew his eyes were all over me, so I looked anywhere but at him.

We had not said much to each other and I had not yet given him the chance to express any emotions after not seeing me in days. I had no intentions to hear what he had to say though, which was why I was going to go straight to bed in the guest room with Celine the moment I finished putting the kids to sleep. Then at the first light of dawn, I was out of here, back to LA.

"Daddy, Chris is telling us a bedtime story," Abby informed him, she was the most clingy to her father. "Please come and join us."

"I'm not sure Chris would like that very much," he stepped closer, stopping at the foot of the bed with his burning gaze still fixed on me.

Would you stop looking at me like that?

"Chris, please can daddy stay on the bed with us?" Aiden watched me expectantly with pleading eyes.