Blue Monster

"Chris, are you awake?" a tiny distressed whisper woke me the next morning, followed by a tiny hand brushing the air away from my face. It was way smaller and much much weaker than the arms wrapped tightly around me.

"'Daddy?" a tiny voice called softly again and this time it was enough to make me jump awake.

I was locked firmly in Lucas's firm grip, more than half of my body hauled over him and the blankets covering us in the same spot he lay as we came home from the hospital.

"Chris," the distressed voice was Abby's. I looked up quickly to see her standing above us, her new favorite stuffed animal in her grasp. Her eyes were wide and curious and terrified too.

The living room was dark save for the dim lights that turned on whenever they sensed motion in the living room. "Princess," I whispered, stretching my hand out to take hers. "what is it, princess?"

Lucas's soft breathing warmed the exposed skin of my back and his large arms were holding me tight in place. There was no way I would try to move away without waking him.

"It's the blue monster," she said almost sobbing, "he took daddy, he's not in his room."

I was torn between being thankful that she could not see Lucas's arms draped over me and pressing me into him in the low lighting and sadness that his absence upstairs had made her scared.

"Oh princess," I pulled her closer, while my free hand tapped on Lucas's arm lightly to let go. "the blue man didn't take daddy. He's a little ill, but he will be fine."

"But he's not in his room," she sobbed a little louder than she had been speaking and that was enough to make Lucas jerk awake. A beat of silence passed before he released my waist and sat up behind me.

His eyes widened as he saw Abby who was now staring at both of us in confusion. "Oh fuc..."

I elbowed him lightly before he finished the word and forced a laugh, "fu-got. I forgot daddy was right here with me."

"Daddy," her attention soon fixed on him, "Daddy are you okay?"

"Of course I am princess, I told you daddy would be fine." his voice was gruff and hoarse and I used that as a chance to leave before Abby started asking curious questions, the why's and the what's about the position Lucas and I were a minute ago.

"I'll get you some water," I got to my feet, thankful that I had not considered going to change into my robe before joining him on the couch last night after his mom and family finally left.

When I returned to the living room, Lucas had turned on the large screen and Abby was transfixed to the sight of the PJ Masks, playing on NetFlix. I was relieved to see that she was no longer crying, in a minute though the house would be filled with new cries of her singing along with the theme song.

"It was the blue monster again," he told me as he approached me.

"Do you think she has to see someone?" I said carefully, weighing my words, "you know they are a little frequent."

"Nah," he laughed, brushing it with his hands, "I had nightmares of a fairy with beards until I was almost 10 years old."

"Faries with beards?" I turned to him in amusement.

"My sister watched almost every animation about fairies there are on the planet. Robin and I got sick of them and one thing led to another, my subconscious and tired mind would always picture a fairy with a beard whenever I was scared at night and it was a perfect recipe for a nightmare. It's generic within our family."