Curious cat

What happened to the curious cat again? Ah yes, she got her neck snapped by her fiance's supposed best friend because she would not simply stay out of trouble. I was fairly sure, no most certainly positive that was what Adrian would do to me as his eyes bored into me with something that looked rather far from the friendliness I had seen when we first met. Maybe my body would be found in a nearby dumpster in a week or more.

And then it hit me. Lucas had told me he was coming here to check on security hours ago and as I stood there scanning the room briefly, he was absolutely nowhere in sight. Oh, my God! Maybe he hurt Lucas and was now taking out whatever anger was left in him on Baron. I thought they were supposed to be best friends.

The thought had not completely settled in my mind when a familiar figure stepped out of the shadows, wiping his hand on a towel stained in crimson. It was Lucas. He halted in his steps as his eyes landed on me, shock and a slightly less version of anger flickering in his gaze.

I was sure my gaze mirrored his as I wondered what in hell really was going on here, even though I already knew the answer or something quite close to it. I shook my head repeatedly, my legs moving on their own volition to take a step back because I refused to believe the thought swirling in my head was really what was going on here.

I took a brief look back at Baron, he would look better if he had even been run over by a truck. A bitter realization washed over me. If it really was true that Lucas had anything to do with what was going on here, even in the slightest seemingly insignificant way, then I did not know him at all. This man who I had been engaged to for weeks, sleeping with for even longer, was a total stranger. One that would not mind having blood on his hands for whatever reasons. And wasn't that the exact reason I had left Baron months ago?

No. I would not compare Lucas to Baron, not without knowing in detail what was going on. He was a good father, he loved his family, and he was an even better boyfriend—Fiance. There was a good and rational reason why a badly beaten and bloodied man who by the way was supposed to be in police custody was right here in his basement. Oh did I forget to mention Adrian was also about to chop his fingers off with a goddamn plier? Yeah, perfectly good reason.

"Why is she here?" Adrian barked, snapping me away from the long look Lucas and I shared. He took a step closer and instinctively I jumped, afraid that the vision I had of my neck being crushed under the weight of his palm was about to become reality.

"Adrian!" Lucas' voice boomed and in the flash of a second, he was in front of me, shielding me from both the sight of Baron and Adrian's furious gaze.

"We agreed no one would come down here." Adrian said harshly, with a scowl now directed at Lucas, "I don't like to have distractions when I'm conducting my business."

"Watch your tone with her Adrian," Lucas said with an annoyed edge.

"Business?" I asked, stepping to Lucas' side, so I could look between the two men. "What's going on here Lucas?"

"Why are you down here?" He looked at me, voice strained like my being here outweighed the fact that he was conducting a murder down here with the help of his big, scary friend.

I gave him my iciest glare, in the last few weeks, I had felt many ways towards Lucas, but not anger. Today, though, I was beyond angry. I was shocked, and probably a little hurt at the truth, that I barely knew him. "I am here because I've been worried sick all evening, wondering where you were and I thought to come find you myself, so I came here because you told me you were coming down here for a routine security check," my eyes drifted to Baron as I spoke and vomit rose in my belly again.