Home

It was sweet fucking relief. After almost two months here, we were finally making the trip back home. While there were less than relieving reasons involved, it still brought a wide grin to my face when the sound of the wheels scraping the runway of Lindbergh field reached my ears.

Martha and Calvin were the first to welcome us home, with Calvin giving the usual manly hugs and pats on the back to his two sons and Martha going through a long streak of teary hugs and sobbing her thanks that her grandbabies were okay. She had insisted all three of them rode in their car with them as we came home from the airport. I realized it had probably been a wise choice to keep them oblivious to my pregnancy. Martha, for one, would have thrown a fit if her hopes of having a new grandchild were suddenly crushed by my miscarriage.

After almost two months away, I had almost forgotten what it felt like to be normal. My usual routine, the one I had when my life was still a simple cycle of getting Abby and Aiden ready for school, hot sex with my boyfriend, harmless gossip with my best friend on the weekend, making dinner with the twins, and reading them cliche fairytales when I put them to sleep. Everything that I could not do now when my life and the life of the twins were constantly being threatened by Sarah and her recently hired goon, Baron.

Before our trip back to San Diego, I had tried to convince Lucas to hand Baron to the cops, seeing as he was transported back here secretly the day before and Adrian was still around, I knew those pleas had fallen on deaf ears. I had seen Lucas' determination with work before, but I had never seen or even imagined he could use that determination in a completely different manner.

The ugly reminder that this was all my fault, that I had pushed Lucas to do this reared its ugly head again and I mentally berated myself. Lucas's words played in my head. It was not my fault, Sarah had absolutely no reason to come after us, not legal and not personally. She left, no one forced her. And if I was being honest I had never really done anything to hurt her directly, at least not before I charged at her for speaking ill of Lucas and the twins, which I must say was still eighty-five percent her fault. Still, I could not help but wonder why she hated me so much, especially when I remembered that we were supposed to be sisters. Another pang of guilt reared its head again and I shook my head tersely as if doing that would wipe the thought away. I had been away from this house for far too long and I was not about to spend my first day here, sulking about why a woman who left her family for her career years ago, and hated me for looking after them. It was her bitch move, one of many and it was not my fault.

I had missed the family's tradition of having everyone present for dinner once in a month and since we had missed two dinners already, I was glad when Martha suggested we took the chance to hold a celebratory dinner for our return here at Lucas's house.

Lucas still seemed tense from what he had to do in his search for Sarah but complied regardless. It was almost easy to forget that the threat was still out there, ready to pounce once we had our guards down. With the way I always found him tense and looking over his shoulder and the number of men cascading up and down the house on a 24/7 watch, I was sure Lucas would not be giving Sarh any chances to hit first, not before he found her. A part of me, the one that was not drowned out by guilt, felt some sort of relief that Lucas was on the lookout for our family. It was only obvious to a few, but I had still not completely gotten over my PTSD from the night I lost the baby. Every time someone snuck up on me, every time a child cried, every time a faint memory came up, I found myself looking over my shoulder, lost in the thought that I might be attacked again. It was going to be a damn long process of healing, and I was sure I had not even started.

"Shall we pray then?" The high-pitched sound of Lucas's mom, from her seat next to the kids, drew my attention back to the pre-arranged table of a feast set up by her.