The proposal

Chris

It had to be the worst proposal in the history of proposals. Yet, with every word he spoke, he guided me slowly and slowly, bringing me out of the darkness that had trapped me since I heard him screaming my name through the phone.

"In every universe, I choose you too,"

And just like that, the invisible bars of a cage I had been trying to flee for what felt like an eternity came crashing down.

The bright light from above me was nearly blinding as my eyes opened slowly, causing them to shut back close. In a flinching moment, I tightened my grip on the warm hand where mine rested. It was his. Even though unconsciousness, I could recognize that hand, holding mine every single day, never letting go.

Because he was my light.

I adjusted my eyes to my surrounding. It wouldn't take rocket science to realize that the beeping next to me and that strong unpleasant smell of antiseptic mixed with drugs meant I was most likely in a hospital.

A sharp gasp drew my attention to my bedside and before I could register it, strong arms gripped me. A long, tight, fierce, familiar hug. I winced in pain, as my body felt like I had been hit by a thousand pounds. I knew it was Lucas and I wanted too badly to wrap my hands around him, to wipe the tears I saw in his eyes but my arms had never felt heavier.

Maybe I could use my voice. I realized that option was not exactly reliable either as I tried to open my mouth only to be met by a painful dryness in my throat.

I cleared my throat softly, batting him away carefully. "W-water..."

Lucas sprang into action before the words were out of my mouth, spilling water all over the place before the glass finally touched my lips.

Ah. That sweet refreshing feeling. One I never thought I would ever feel again.

He dropped the glass back on the tray as I signaled to him I had had enough. Turning back to me, he cupped my face in his hands, pressing his forehead against mine, his eyes glossy with unshed tears, "Oh Muffin, I thought I lost you there."

I placed my hand on his, smoothly rubbing the pad of my thumb over it. "You didn't lose me," I assured him, and with renewed strength, I wrapped my arms around his neck too. I pulled him over me, ignoring the pain shooting through my body and relishing what it felt like to hold him again.

When he pulled away, I felt like a big part of me was pulling away, the same hollow feeling I felt just before I lost consciousness that day. How long has it even been?

"I'll get the doctor," he said, reaching for the call button.

"No," I whispered, voice hoarse with a mix of emotion and the effect of been asleep too long. I offered him the best smile I could give at the moment, weak but still my best. "I thought we were in the middle of something."

His lips curled into that charming, wicked smile that helped to get my heart pumping even better than normal. He paused, eyes darting to where he sat a few minutes ago. With a small chuckle, he leaned down, reaching for something.

I tilted my head on my shoulder to see what he was picking up. The red and glittery piece knocked the air right out of my lungs. "Lucas!" I gasped softly.

He smiled nervously, sinking back next to me on the bed. I was not sure my health was good enough to allow for crying just yet, but I had no intentions of holding them back..

My hand felt shaky as he took it again, wiping my tears first. "I don't know if you heard most of what I said earlier, but..."

The strangest thing was that I did. I heard every beautiful word that came from him and I meant those words I told him too. "I did," I choked out, attempting to sit up.