Miscommunicated

I had not realized just how much I needed to breathe fresh air that was not sullied by a mixture of stale air, pills from the doctor, and a large dose of my sadness. For what first like the first time in forever, the sight of food did not make my stomach churn, or at least it did in the right way.

The scent of freshly made orange juice and blueberry danishes set out on the picnic table only made my mouth water and my empty stomach growl. I turned to my best friend the closest thing I had to a sister with a smile. "You planned this?"

Of course, she did. I had to be the luckiest human on the planet to have everyone I had in my life now.

She rounded the table, taking her seat with a knowing smile. "I was hopeful that today would be a good day."

I tilted my head, a fresh wave of guilt pulling at my chest. I had been so drowned in my sadness that I had completely neglected everyone, myself included. "I'm so sorry for shutting you out too, Bess."

She shook her head tersely, "Nope, we are done with all the apologies and emotional talk. Right now, out here, I want to have lunch with my second favorite person in the universe like we used to."

I placed a hand on my chest, feigning hurt, "I thought I was your only favorite person in the universe, now I'm second? Harsh."

She chuckled, "sorry, a certain someone named Alexander came into my life,"

I could hardly remember the last time C and I got together like this to talk like we always used to. I knew I had missed weeks of her life, "so tell me, any new deets on you and Alexander."

Her cheeks reddened in a way only talking about Alexander would make them do and she looked away, picking up one piece of the pastries laid out on the table, "only a lot, but I'm only telling you when you show me those pictures from you and Lucas' getaway."

I chuckled, for the second time today and actually in weeks. It was a little rusty, but it came sincerely and for once I could forget my grief, "deal."

***

Lucas and Alexander found us in the garden sometime later. Alexander had called C, asking where we were because Lucas was already worried after he didn't find me in our room. I winced at the thought of how worrying that must have been for Lucas given all that had happened recently.

Way to go, Christine, keep scaring him and making him more worried. He clearly does not have enough of your bullshit on his plate.

As they approached us, a mixture of sudden surprise and relief and confusion played on Lucas's face and I knew he was wondering just what C had done to get me outside. The question though remained unvoiced.

He offered a simple smile, and I hoped the smile I returned was convincing enough. C got to her feet, embracing Alexander. Lucas held on to my gaze longer and I could not blame him, after two weeks of small glances, careful words, and touches, even I did not want to stop looking at him.

"I'm glad to see you outside again, Chris," Alexander said, breaking us apart from our long stare. "It's nice to see you all better."

"It's all thanks to her," I nodded towards C, who could not stop grinning now. "She has magic in her words."

He tilted his head lower, placing a kiss on her forehead as he pulled her closer. "She does,"

I loved that look of adoration in his eyes as he looked at her. It was good to see that at least one of us was not screwing up her relationship. For the first time, I not only approved of someone C was seeing, but I also had a good feeling her heart was safe in his hands. "I'm sorry you both had to stay this long here in Italy. I know it wasn't exactly how long you planned to stay."