Crabs and Mommies

It was our first full day in Italy. My allergy had completely died down after the third glass of that tea Lucas had made me though I was sure it had more to do with me being enfolded in Lucas's arms as he took me in every way through the night. Lucas got the kids ready for our day at the beach, while I packed all the stuff we needed.

I rolled my window down, sucking in the sharp crisp air through my nose as we took the drive through the quaint town leading to the beach. Despite the rowdiness of the tourists and visitors making their way about, taking pictures of the timbered buildings on the sidewalk next to the narrow road, it still retained its old-fashioned yet attractive vibe and that charm of a small town. It was different from everything I had always known and I was grateful for the change, having lived all of my life in the noisy and overcrowded atmosphere of the city.

"How are you feeling now?" Lucas's voice startled me back to the present.

I turned to find him staring at me as he maneuvered the car through the streets.

"Much better, all thanks to you." I gave him a small smile and leaned back into the seat, turning to the kids who were focused on their Ipads in the back seat. They had successfully convinced Elmo's owners that they could take care of him for one day and from the look of it, the dog seemed to be glad to tag along as he sat between the twins. "So who's excited for the beach today?"

"Me," they chorused in an excited tone but did not bother to look up from their gadgets.

"What are you both watching?' I asked curiously.

"We want to make a sandcastle at the beach so we're learning how to," Abby answered first.

Aiden raised his head briefly asked, "Daddy we can make a sandcastle can't we?"

"Of course you can buddy, and don't worry, Chris and I will be right here to help you with that."

"I wish Zoey were here," Abby spoke, finally looking up. Without her asking, I could already tell what she was thinking from the grim expression replacing her smile.

"And aunt Mia too," Aiden chipped in.

Lucas adjusted his mirror so he could see their faces, "They'll be joining us next week."

While the kids expressed their excitement, I raised an amused brow at him, "Next week?"

"Hmm-hmm," he nodded. "You don't want them to come?"

"Of course I do," I chuckled, "I was just hoping we could get some...some alone time before you know...they're here."

He gave me an amused yet charming smile, "who said we won't get any alone time?"

I looked behind at the kids—they were now researching the different kinds of sea life they could find here in Milan and the dog who was trying to take a peek too—and back at Lucas, "we won't be getting any."

He chuckled and with one hand on the wheel, he took my hand in his other, brushing a light kiss on my fingers, "Don't freak out, but I have something special planned out for you, " he leaned closer., dropping his voice lower and said suggestively, "and trust me, it will give us plenty of alone time."

My cheeks burned at the thought of what he could mean by that and even more, my curiosity inched higher as I considered what surprise he could possibly be planning. Joy and curiousity invaded my heart and a giggle burst out as I managed to let an "Okay," slip past my lips.

"Okay?" he raised a brow.

"That's all I'm going to say if you do not want me to freak out," I said, smiling so hard I thought my face would freeze any moment.