Our first kiss

The drive home was quiet, and I could tell Lucas was a little sad that the kids were not coming home. He had not said a word since we left, and I was growing weary of the awkward silence between us.

"You know they are only going for one night, don't you?" I laughed nervously.

"I do, and I must say I'm a little relieved that mom insisted on taking care of them tonight," he gave a small smile.

"Then why are you so grumpy," I teased.

"I am?" he chuckled.

"Yup," I nodded, "you have that look you usually had the first time I came—oh God," my hand flew to my chest, "are you mad at me or something?"

"No," he said sharply, "no, no, no. I think it's more like the complete opposite." He pulled over, and I realized we were home.

"Oh, okay," I nodded and reached for my seatbelt.

He undid his too, and Bernard gave a small greeting before taking the keys to park the car properly. I held his jacket firmly around me as we walked to the house next to each other. To anyone, I was just trying to cover up from the breezy evening, but deep down, I knew the reason I was still holding on to the jacket. I could not help the sadness I felt at the thought that he was soon going to take it back. At least I could enjoy this before he did.

He pushed the door open and stepped to the side to usher me in first before coming in and closing the door.

"Are you not locking it yet?" I asked as we walked past the foyer.

"The guard will lock it," he said simply.

"There's a security guard?"

"Yup, I'm guessing you do not also know that the door locks automatically," we walked past the foyer into the main house.

I turned around to get a renewed view of the door. Suddenly the weird keypad and lock system made sense. "The guard has his post downstairs in the basement, and only you, I, and a few others know he's there. He sees when someone is coming in and opens the gate, and he sometimes answers the doors when there is a guest,"

"So he was the man speaking the day I got here," I said in realization.

"He was. Before he opens the door, he disables the security and puts back the codes once the doors close, in and out."

"But I've never seen him before," I scrunched up my face in confusion.

"That's why he's invincible," Lucas scarily widened his eyes, "I'm sure you must have heard those footsteps at night," his voice dropped to a whisper. "That's him."

My mouth hung in horror, and in my irrational mind, I was about to freak out at living in the same house as an invisible man, but his lips twitched, and he could not hold back the peal of laughter that erupted from him.

"You should see your face right now, you look like you just saw a ghost," he mocked between his laughter.

"Haha," I rolled my eyes, in mock annoyance, "that was very funny, you are such a jerk." I smacked his shoulder and chuckled.

"But really there is no invisible man right?" I said to make sure. I could not think of anything scarier for me, than that.

"No," he pinched the bridge of his nose as his laughter died down, "but I do pay him well enough for his discretion, the kids would freak out if they saw him."

"Okay, then I think it's good that way."

We stood in the living room opposite each other, eyes boring into each other's, both waiting for the other to look away first or say something.