His family

My eyes flicked from the kids back to the road leading upstate to Maxwell's country club. They seemed really happy and kept pointing at one thing or the other on the highway. Lucas had been quiet through the drive, but I did not miss the way his eyes roamed my body when I was not looking.

"So," I said, desperate to end the awkward silence between us, "Anything I should know about your family?"

"There's a lot you should know," he smiled and turned off the highway into another less busy road, "but I think you would find out more when you meet them. " he tilted his head and thought for a second, "my mom cannot stand cats so don't bring it up. Also she might not like you at first given your um..." he trailed off, eyes boring into me.

"My face?" I completed.

He nodded and turned back to the sterling wheel. "She'll relax when she figures you're not her—or anything like her," he added quickly.

"Okay, so should I expect to receive dirty stares for the first few minutes?"

"Sadly, yes, but I won't let it go further. Also, my brother's wife and daughter would be there too, Zoey is still a toddler, but she's easy to get along with,"

"Your brother is married?" I asked, surprised.

"Yeah, we both married young," he smiled sadly, "I guess he made a better choice."

I chewed on the inside of my cheeks, contemplating what to say to make him feel better, but nothing came up. I just gave him the most reassuring smile I could muster, thankfully we pulled over, successfully ending the conversation before it turned sourer.

The gate opened up on its own after some weird light scanned the car, and Lucas drove into the country club. The second the car stopped the kids jumped out, without waiting for me or Lucas.

"Well, it's going to be a long day," he chuckled as they ran down to the front door in happy giggles.

I gasped in realization as we unbuckled our seatbelts. "What?" he asked in concern.

"We did not bring a gift,"

He just smiled and said, "My parents would not mind, I never bring a gift. I think Aiden and Abigail are enough gifts for them."

"Still, it's a bit rude since it's my first visit." I frowned.

"'I promise it's okay, let's go in." he smiled assuredly.

He led me through the club, and I could not help but gasp at every magnificent piece we passed after the other. The house was just a large as Lucas's, but it had more ornate and detailed designs that looked like they were dated back centuries ago. "I'll bring you on a tour later," he said, seeing how interested I was.

"Oh, you don't have to," I brushed it off with a wave of my hand and a smile.

"I insist." he smiled back.

From the sounds of kids running around, and small chattering, I knew we were close, and for some reason, my nerves shot up at this point. I had not really given it much thought before agreeing to come. I had never been to a real family dinner before, actually, the only thing I knew as a family dinner was dinner shared with my best friend Celine, she was the closest thing I had to family.

I took a deep breath and squared my shoulders, mustering the courage to walk past the door Lucas held open for me. It led to a rooftop garden where everyone waited for us.

The moment we walked through the door, everyone's attention turned to us swiftly, save for the three kids that were running around in a circle. I could have sworn I heard a gasp.