Elmo

The search for Elmo took most of the afternoon and our search was finally rewarded as we found the pup hiding behind the tall grass extending through the large field around the back.

"Elmo!" Abby squealed, racing over to pick it up. Aiden skipped happily behind her, but disappointment quickly crept up their faces as it crawled further between the grass, clearly still needing some time to get adjust to the new faces.

"I don't think it will come to you if you go at it like that," I explained, taking out a piece from the Ziploc bag filled with carrots the closest thing to dog food we could find for now.

"But we just want to play with it," Aiden frowned.

"I know that, but Elmo doesn't, so that means you have to show it that you're trying to be its friend not hurt it." I stretched out a carrot to each of them, "let's start with trying to feed it."

"But how can we feed it if it won't even play with us," Abby whined.

"Like this," I crouched down, tilting my head to look between the grass where the puppy a little bigger than a teacup pig hid with its tail between its legs. I held a carrot out to it, using my softest tone, "here Elmo, here boy."

"Oh miss Channing, you don't have to do that," a woman spoke behind me, stern and reprimanding. I easily recognized the deep accent too as the house manager's. My guess proved right as I turned to her with a small smile, I could not remember her name or read her name tag from where I crouched down. Her perfectly arched brows were turned downward and her lips regarded me with something close to a sneer like I was committing a mortal sin kneeling on the grass and trying to feed a dog which by the way just dashed out running, probably terrified from all the noise.

"It's getting away!" Aiden cried, and the next moment, both kids were racing through the fields, trying to catch it again. I wanted to tell them that they would have no success befriending Elmo if they kept running after him like that.

"We have people for that, please, get off the floor," she said and did a hand signal to one of the gardeners, nodding in the direction the dog and kids had gone.

"It's fine, I enjoy the exercise with the kids." I waved off her worries with a smile.

She was not having it though, "I insist Miss Channing, I have orders from Mr. Maxwell to see that you not only get enough rest here but also refrain from any stress."

"Believe me, it's no stress. It's more fun than stress." she started to say something but was cut short by a horrendous scream from Abby. I could easily recognize it as an excited cry, but the house manager had different thoughts from the look on her face. "I should check on them," I said, thankful for an excuse to leave my newly appointed nanny.

After hours of trying, we finally made a successful friend in the puppy. He seemed to be glad to have some company around and came around after Abby and Aiden fed it some carrots in tiny bits right from their palms.

Their joy though was short-lived as Elmo had to leave with its owner when her shift ended for the day. Their smiles quickly returned to their face when she promised to bring him along the next day. To make up for their time with Elmo, I asked if they would like to come into the pool with me and they happily obliged. I helped the kids change into more suitable outfits, before taking them along into the large oval pool that reminded me of an oversized bathtub. It was no surprise that it actually had the option to become a bathtub too.

We stayed in the pool until I received a delivery, reminding me that I had to get ready for dinner with Lucas tonight. I got Abby and Aiden out of the water and helped them settle into their rooms—much to the dismay of the house manager. While the kids had dinner, I made my way upstairs to my and Lucas's bedroom.