The Ex-wife

The rest of the morning ran slower than I expected. I cleaned my room, and the kid's room, read a book and gave myself a mini-tour of the house. Emma was busy with laundry, and I had offered to help but again, she said no. It would still take a few more hours before the kids got back from school, I had to keep busy till then or I would probably die of boredom.

I thought of doing some crochet, but I only had my pins and not even a ball of yarn. I would have to wait till I had the time to go to the store to pick up what I needed. I watched a movie on my phone and played a few games.

I had not seen Lucas all day, but it was better that way. I picked the kids up from school at the exact time they finished and took them home. After they had a snack, we played hide and seek and ran around a little before going over their homework. Emma came up to the room later in the evening to call us up for dinner.

"Okay kids, it's time to wash up," I said as I kept the last of their crayons.

"A bath?" Abby asked quickly.

"No, you have to wash your hand before eating," I explained.

"But my hands are clean," Aiden said, inspecting his hands slowly.

"Yes, me too," Abby followed after her brother.

I crouched down to meet them and took a brief second to explain why and how their hands were dirty in the simplest terms.

"But how do you know they are there, I can't see them," Abby said referring to germs. She brought her hands closer to her face hoping to get a good view.

I chuckled lightly and took her hands in mine. "Why don't we wash our hands now, and after dinner, we'll learn about germs on the dr. binocs show?" I asked with a smile, and they both ran off to the bathroom to wash their hands. I followed closely behind them and washed my hands too. I had learned not to leave them in the bathroom without supervision after the toothpaste drama.

"Chris, I want my hair to be like yours please," Abby said as she wiped her hand with the hand towel I gave each of them.

"Of course sweety, I can make your hair like mine before you leave for school tomorrow." I took out the brush from the drawer. "For now, let's just brush both your hairs and go for dinner. We don't want to be late."

"No one is going to know, we will; be eating alone," Abby said with a sad face.

"Daddy does not join us for dinner since you came back home," Aiden added having the same sadness on his face.

I was surprised to hear that. Did he hate me so much that he would even neglect dinner with the kids just to avoid me? It made me sad to think about the kids having to suffer because of both our childishness. I had to speak to Lucas about this, if it would mean skipping dinners just so he got to be there for the kids I would gladly do that. "I'm sure he's busy at work these days," I said to console them, "I'll call him and see if he can make it tonight."

Their faces brightened and they smiled happily. "Okay."

I knew he would not appreciate me telling me this so early in the job, but I was still going to give it a shot for the kids. The kids headed downstairs for dinner and I took the chance to call Lucas. Of course, he did not pick up. I decided to shoot him a quick text.

Chris: Hey, please can you come home a little early?

In a second my phone vibrated.

Lucas: Why, are the kids okay, what happened.

I could sense the worry in his tone.