Celine's visit

The next morning, the kids and I went through our usual weekday routine. I bathed them, braided Abby's hair, explained for the 100th time why she could not take her cuddle buddy with her to school, went through a little whining, separated a few arguments, and prepared their bags for school. After getting them ready for school, I took them downstairs for breakfast.

"Good morning, everyone," Lucas greeted with a broad smile as he joined us at the table. He was already dressed for work in a pair of black slacks and a white button-down, a black waistcoat, and the main suit jacket on his arm. He shoved his phone in his pocket and pulled out a chair to sit.

Despite my best efforts, I could not let my mind drift away from last night and how close we had come to complicating our relationship. I felt a ton of guilt coursing through me, seeing as I had led things on, and I knew I had to apologize for that. Maybe later, for now, I could not even trust myself to be within such a close radius as him and not lose my composure.

Celine would go crazy with excitement if she found out what happened last night, which was the exact reason I was going to hold on to it for a little longer.

"Good morning Daddy," the twins chorused, and I followed too, forcing a small smile. He looked at me, smirked, and looked back at the kids. I could only hope he had the same thoughts I had running through my mind.

"How are my babies doing?" he tweaked both their noses playfully, and they giggled.

"We're good," Aiden answered, with a mouthful of cereal.

"Did you enjoy sleeping in Chris's room?" he asked while making himself a plate.

"I did," Abby answered, and almost immediately put on her curious face. "Daddy, will you be joining us the next time we sleep with Chris?"

Lucas froze, and his face turned pale white, at her question, while I choked on the milk in my mouth despite my best efforts to act normal. A beat of silence passed, and I cleared my throat loudly to bring back Lucas's attention, as I tried to regain my own composure.

Seeing as her father did not answer, Abby turned to me. "Chris can daddy sleep in your room with us tonight?" her face twisted into that puppy look that I could not say no to and pushed her lips out in a long pout.

"Um..." I cleared my throat softly and gulped the glass of water. My eyes were fixed on Lucas, silently willing him to say something.

"I think Chris would like to have some private time tonight," he said quickly. "Right?" he quirked his brows waiting for me to answer.

"Yeah...yeah...of course." I stuttered.

"How about we sleep in your room tonight?" Lucas offered, as their faces dropped into disappointing frowns, "Just me, you and Aiden."

"But we want Chris to be there," Aiden whined.

"Yeah, she smells really sweet." Abby grinned.

"I don't smell sweet?" Lucas said in mock annoyance.

"Daddy," Abby waved her hands and did a dramatic sigh like she was about to convince him that the earth was round. "You smell nice, but not sweet. Chris always smells sweet like a girl."

I chuckled as she made gestures with her hand while she spoke, and Lucas had a bewildered expression. "Where did you even learn that from?"

"All the girls at school talk like that," she hunched her shoulders and took a spoonful of cereal.

"Well, I do not know what you are talking about. I always smell sweet." Lucas raised his chin defiantly, "also, I have great news."

That seemed to get their attention and successfully make them forget about Lucas and me in the same bed, though I was having a harder time erasing the image I had already created in my dirty mind.