New Haven

We arrived in Italy a few hours later and took the long drive over to the place we would be staying for the next few days or weeks. Lucas had not yet told me how long we would be staying. I did not mind though I had everything I could possibly need here with me.

I half expected that we would be staying at a hotel when Lucas said we were going to what would be our new home for some time, but I was shocked as the drive brought us to a resort a few minutes away from civilization.

It reminded me of Lucas's parent's home back in California except this villa rested on a mountain from which it was possible to see the surrounding town as far as into the main city.

There were acres and acres of greenery and I imagined what it would be like to take a long walk in the fields that occupied that land. There were countless trees, most of which were fruit-bearing trees. I was glad for that fact because the kids had whined a few times about seeing how fruits at the grocery store got to be and this would be my chance to explore that with them.

There was a large pool at the back of the house and I imagined having a late-night swim with Lucas in it when the kids had gone to bed. The weather was perfect for it. It was a real breath of fresh air away from all of the bustling and hustling back in San Diego. There was the serenity of the wind blowing and the trees waving, a sharp contrast to cars honking, and people yelling for no reason.

"Like it?" Lucas came up behind me, snaking an arm around my waist from where I was taking a peek at the people harvesting something a few miles away. I could tell they were farmers. Our bedroom had the best view, a wide and spacious octagonal balcony allowing the cool and breezy air of that late October afternoon to filter in along with a beautiful sight.

I took in a fresh breath, savoring the smell of fresh flowers, wafting up my nose, "I love it. This place is so beautiful. I wish we can get to share it with the others."

He rested his chin on my back, placing his hand over mine, "This week it's just you, I, and the kids, the others will be here later."

"They're coming?" I tilted my head to him in surprise.

"Sadly, I have a very clingy family, they want to be with me everywhere I go, Mom insisted so yeah..."

"That's such good news." I turned around in his arms.

"I was of the opinion that my company was more exciting," he feigned hurt.

"Of course it is," I nudged his shoulder, "you know what I mean."

"I do," he cupped my cheeks in his large palms." and I must say I'm really glad to see my family loves you and you all get along so well. It was never that way with Sarah."

"I thought..."

"They accepted her?" he completed for me, "only because I made them. They did not accept her as naturally as they accept you, I guess it's not hard to see why. You are the most amazing woman I have ever met Chris." I opened my mouth to say something, but words could not come out. "why do you look so stunned?" he chuckled, smoothing his thumb over my parted lips. "is it so hard to believe that you are amazing?"

"No one has ever really used that term on me before," I admitted, "so I was just surprised."

"Well, there are plenty of terms I'm going to be using on you soon. Once I take the big step."

My brows furrowed in confusion, "What big..."

"Don't ask I will not tell, and no it's not a secret, it's a surprise."

"Chris!!" Aiden and Abby's voices rang through the house before I could ask any more questions. "Come see!"

"I'll be right there!" I yelled back and turned to Lucas, "I'll go help the kids unpack in their room."