Truth revealed

Mia leaned down, grabbing my broken phone in her hand before I got the chance to stop her. I did not plan to though, I was too shaken by the last message to move an inch.

"What the hell is this Chris?" she asked, as her eyes roamed the message, "Is this the reason you have been uneasy all afternoon?" she flashed the messages in my face, confusion, and anger plastered across her face.

"What's going in here?" Lilian asked, strolling over to us. She had a louder gasp after Mia handed her the phone.

"Chris, this is scary," she said, eyes darting around in search of what I could not bother to figure out, "who is it?"

"Sarah," I said with surprising calmness,

"Sarah?!" their faces mirrored the horror written on mine.

"She's going for the kid's," I handed Zoey over to Lilian, without waiting for them to complete their surprised expressions, "we have to get to the kid's school," I raced out through the glass doors, scrambling for my keys as I made my way to the Mall's exit.

Mia said something to Lilian about packing the velvet lingerie she handed her, before following behind me. I could hear her calling out my name as she tried to catch up with me, but I could not bring my legs to stop moving until I made sure for myself that the kids were safe.

I had never met Sarah before, but if she was capable of stalking me, I was pretty sure she was capable of kidnapping her kids. The thought made my heart thump louder in my chest.

This was all my fault. If I had just told Lucas what was going on from the first time I thought I was being followed, none of this would be happening. If I wasted even a second more, Lucas and the kids would be the ones paying for my bad choices.

I could not live with that.

Mia caught up with me at the parking lot just as I held the car door open. She moved swiftly, standing in between me and the car, as she tried to catch her breath. "You're shaking," she panted, "you'll get yourself murdered if you drive." she pulled my car keys from my hand before I got the chance to protest.

"Get in," she climbed into the driver's seat while I turned around to the other side to get in too.

"What about Lilian and Zoey?" I asked, looking behind as Mia turned the car around with more speed than I could have imagined.

"She waited to clear us out, she'll come in her car." she said, eyes trained on the road, "how long to the kid's school?"

"Too long if you don't drive faster," I snapped, biting my nails to hold back from crying. There was no room for me to be emotional right now.

"Of course why don't we just get a private jet instead," she bit back, clearly tense too by how quickly everything was going, "I'm sure Lucas has one."

"I'm sorry Mia, today has just been bad for me, and now I think I'm about to go crazy just thinking of what Sarah might do to Abby and Aiden," despite my best efforts, I found myself fidgeting in my seat.

"Why would Sarah want to hurt the kids?" she gave me a look full of confusion.

"She's been following me for the last few weeks,' I blurted, "and I can not explain anything else to you, just please get to the school fast enough."

Thankfully, Mia did not try to make any further inquiries or say anything else. She stepped on the gas, jerking back into her seat, as she zipped through traffic with wondrous speed. I dug my hand into my purse and realized too late that I left my phone with Lilian. I did not get the time though to brood over my phone as we got in the waiting line for the cars approaching the school's parking lot.