Chapter 38 - First Priority: Destroy the Machine!

Natsu's POV

Happy and I flew around the Kaito and Kyan and aimed for the machine hurting Lucy, when suddenly a wall of water blocked our path. I wasn't going to let water get in my way. I lit my fists up with my black flames and punched through the wall of water but, what I didn't expect was Kaito and Kyan waiting for us on the other side. The second I broke through his water wall, he punched me in the face with his fist covered in a bubble of water. The force pushed us back towards the other side of the room but Happy caught us before we hit the wall.

"Don't think you'll get past us" Kaito said and then flew at us. Looks like I'll have to figure out a way to get around them if I want to get to Lucy. Her screams were distracting to hear in the background. I just wanted to end her suffering and get her back to the guild safe and sound. As Kaito tried to punch me with another one of his water punches, Happy and I dodged it and then with a quick twist of my body, I kicked his side. My kick threw them downwards, but they caught themselves before they could crash to the floor.

"Water whip!" Kaito chanted as a whip of water flowed down from his hand and then whipped it at us. I dodged it by backflipping in mid-air and then flew at him with a raised black flaming fist. I landed a punch on his face and they were pushed backwards. "Ten minutes until Jupiter fires" an automated female voice spoke over the loudspeaker.

Kaito pulled his head back and started to breathe in. "Water Dragon" he chanted as he breathed in for a breath attack. "He's a Water Dragon Slayer?!" Happy exclaimed what I was also thinking. "Roar!" Kaito finished and then a geyser of water shot out of his mouth. We flew down just before the roar could hit us and then flew underneath the geyser of water.

Now I see why Lucy had trouble fighting this guy. Fire Dragons and Water Dragons don't mix. "Chaos Dragon Talon!" I chanted, kicking him in the face with my black flames as soon as he stopped his roar. While he was disoriented, we took a sharp turn and aimed for the machine hurting Lucy. I don't have time to deal with this guy and his exceed.

Suddenly a stream of water hit us from the side and knocked us away from the machine. "Didn't I say we weren't going to let you pass us" Kaito said. 'Damn how am I going to pass these two?' I wondered. The longer I fight him, the longer Lucy is suffering and the sooner the cannon begins to fire on our guild. Maybe I should try a different approach?

I gathered a large ball of black flames in my hands. "Chaos Dragon Power of Mayhem!" I chanted and then threw the large ball at the machine. "Water Dragon Shield!" Kaito chanted as he flew in front of the attack and created a thick circular shield to block my attack. As my ball of black flames hit the water shield, both spells cancelled each other out in a burst of dark grey steam. "Five minutes until Jupiter fires" the automated female voice spoke again. Damn, I need to hurry this up.

"You're going to have to try harder than that if you want to break that lacrima. Plus, you're running out of time" Kaito smirked, and I growled. This guy was becoming a real nuisance. I took a glance at Lucy to see how she's doing, and I could see she was slowly losing her strength. She looked like she could lose consciousness any minute now.

"What are you going to do Chaos?" Kaito taunted and I felt my rage go through the roof. I hate feeling useless. "Hang in there Lucy!" I shouted with determination. "So he does have a voice! I thought you went mute on me" he taunted and laughed but I'd had enough. I looked back at Happy and he nodded back with determination, understanding what I was asking him to do.

We flew at Kaito and Kyan using Happy's Max Speed and instead of punching Kaito, I grabbed him by his collar. I quickly spun him around, so he was right above the machine and then held him there for a moment. He stared back at me with a stunned expression. "Hurt Lucy and I hurt you" I growled, then kicked him down towards the machine. They crashed into the machine creating a large crack but unfortunately, the lacrima didn't break. "One minute until Jupiter fires" the automated female voice spoke again. One more attack.

"Happy drop me" I ordered, and he did exactly as I said. Kaito looked up with fear as he saw me angrily coming towards him. "Chaos Dragon!" I began to chant as I raised my black flaming fist. Kaito quickly pushed Kyan out of the way. "Iron Fist!" I finished as my fist collided with his stomach and shattered the lacrima underneath him. "Kaito!" Kyan exclaimed in worry for his friend.

Lucy's screams immediately went silent as the machine stopped. Panic filled my chest as I turned to see her go limp but then noticed she was breathing heavily. I quickly rushed over to her with Happy and immediately started crushing the chains holding her with my flaming hands. As soon as the last chain on her wrist was broken, she fell limp towards me and I caught her before she hit the floor. I laid her down gently onto the ground while holding her upper body in my arms. "Lucy" Happy whimpered with tears in his eyes as he landed on the ground beside her and put his paws on her limp arm.

I looked up to check to make sure Kaito was going to stay down but noticed he and his exceed had run off somewhere. With more important matters to deal with, I brought my focus back onto Lucy and gently shook her shoulder. "Hey Lucy, open your eyes please. Show me that you're ok" I begged. Her condition was worrying me. Did Jupiter take too much from her?

Fortunately, she began to stir and then looked up at me. "Natsu?" she questioned, and I was so relieved to see she was going to be alright. "Lucy!" Happy jumped up onto her breasts for a big hug. "We were so worried about you!" he said as he cried tears of joy. "Sorry for worrying you Happy" she said and then turned to me. "You too Natsu. Where did Kaito go?" she asked as she looked around and I growled while looking away. "He ran off" I replied. 'And I hope he doesn't show up ever again' I thought to myself.

She then started to get up which shocked me and Happy. "What are you doing?" I asked as she got to her feet. She smirked and then punched a fist into her other hand. "I need a rematch with that Water Boy. The fight's not over" she said and then started walking to the exit with a slight limp. "Oh no you don't" I said as I wrapped an arm around her waist and then threw her over my shoulder. "Not this again. Put me down Natsu!" she complained while punching and kicking. 'At least she has the energy to punch and kick' I thought as I walked toward the cannon where we entered from. It'll be the quickest way out of here.

Because Happy won't be able to carry both of us like this, I readjusted Lucy so I was carrying her bridal style. "I said put me down Natsu!" she continued to complain. "Let's take her back to the guild Happy" I said, and he replied "aye" as he picked us up. He speedily flew us through the cannon and straight towards the guild.