Chapter 48 - Silent Treatment

Lucy's POV

"Come on you guys, this is ridiculous" I said as I sat between Natsu and Happy who refused to look or even speak to each other. They were both giving each other the silent treatment because of yesterday's fishing day. I have a feeling they had a fight when they got home after they dropped me off at my apartment last night. They've been acting like this since this morning and it's been almost three hours.

"Lucy, can you tell Natsu that I'll only forgive him if he buys me twice the number of fish he destroyed" Happy said. "Lucy, tell Happy that it was all his fault" Natsu said and I was becoming more confused. "Guys, just talk to each other" I said, so I wasn't in the middle of their fight. They both stayed silent and I sighed at their stubbornness.

"Erza, Gray, Wendy, Carla, Lucy, Natsu and Happy! Come to my office now!" we heard Gramps shout from his office. Without a word, we walked over to Gramps' office and joined the others. "What do you think Gramps wants to see us for?" I asked. "Whatever it is, I just hope we're not in any trouble" Gray replied. "I'm sure we'll be fine" Erza said and then knocked on the door. "Enter" we heard Gramps say on the other side of the door and then we let ourselves in.

"You needed us Master?" Erza asked. "Yes. The Magic Council has sent us a request and they have asked me to send out my best team" Gramps replied. "What's the job?" Wendy asked. "The Council wants us to shut down a smuggling ring near Hargeon. From their intel, a dark guild called Dark Sirens is smuggling illegal goods across Fiore" Gramps explained. "Do they have any idea on what kinds of items are being smuggled?" Erza asked. "Stolen items, illegal weapons, alcohol...animal and human trafficking" he replied. It disgusts me that a human would sell another living being for money. They must not be able to feel empathy.

"The Council wants you all to leave today and arrive there as soon as possible" Gramps said and we all nodded. "We won't let you down Gramps" I said and then left the office with Natsu and Happy following close behind. The others followed soon afterwards and then we gathered outside Gramps' office. "How terrible. How could someone sell another human, let alone an animal?" Wendy said. "We won't let them get away with this" I replied. "Everyone, pack what you need for the trip and let's meet at the train station in exactly one hour" Erza stated and then left to go pack with Wendy and Carla at Fairy Hills. After Natsu, Happy and I said 'see ya' to Gray, we walked towards my apartment.

For the entire walk to my apartment, both boys refused to say a single word. It made me wonder how long they were going to stay like this. When we reached my apartment, I became annoyed and broke the silence. "Alright guys what's going on? You've been like this since this morning" I asked as I turned around to them while crossing my arms. Neither of them would give me an answer or even look me in the eye.

"Lucy, can I stay with you?" Happy asked, ignoring what I said, and then Natsu glared at him. "Why can't you stay with Natsu?" I asked, maybe this will get him to tell me why they're acting like this. Happy looked away and then said "I just can't after what he did." I sighed, maybe some time apart will help. "Alright but only for a night after the job is finished" I said and his face brightened into a smile while Natsu growled. Natsu grabbed Happy by his green bag and then grumpily dragged him with him towards their house. 'I'm guessing Natsu didn't like that idea' I thought but awed at how much Natsu cares about Happy.

As soon as they were out of sight, I unlocked my apartment door and then walked in. I immediately grabbed some stuff and neatly packed them in my pink Heart Kreuz suitcase. It was kind of relaxing not having the boys here at the moment. I'm not trying to stop Natsu from eating out my fridge or stop Happy from trying to scratch my stuff.

When I was all packed, I rolled my suitcase out of my apartment and then walked towards the train station. I was NOT looking forward to the train ride. When I arrived at the train station, I found everyone waiting for me including the grumpy silent two. It seems like Natsu and Happy's argument became worst since they left my apartment because they were extra angry now. They both had a glare on their face as they had their backs to each other.

Gray walked up to me and whispered in my ear. "Do you know what's wrong with them?" he asked. I shook my head, "no clue" I whispered back. Natsu glared at the two of us whispering and then walked over to stand between me and him. Gray glared at him, but Natsu just glared back. "Now that everyone is here, let's go" Erza said and then we followed her inside the train station. As much as it pains me to take the train, Gramps did say we had to get there as soon as possible.

We filed onto our train going to Hargeon and sat down in one of the six-person compartments. I was forced by Natsu to sit between him and Happy while Erza, Wendy and Gray sat on the other side with Carla sitting on Wendy's lap. I sighed at their behaviour and then stopped once the train started to move. Immediately I got motion sickness along with Natsu and Wendy. I wonder if Natsu and Happy's silent treatment is going to last the whole job?