Chapter 4 - First Job

Natsu's POV

I watched Lucy meeting some of the people in the guild from my seat on the second floor. Something in my gut tells me she's going to cause a lot of trouble for me in the future. "So what type of magic do you use Lucy?" Macao asked. Lucy smiled, "I'm a Fire Dragon Slayer" she answered and then everyone went quiet. 'Are they scared she will turn out like me?' I wondered and then they cheered. "We finally have a nice Dragon Slayer!" they cheered and I rolled my eyes.

"Back already Chaos?" the arrogant Lightning Dragon Slayer Laxus said with a smirk as he sat across from me. He leaned back on the chair and put his feet up on the table. I growled at him, signalling for him to back off. "Aw don't be like that. I'm surprised you brought someone to the guild. Blondie's pretty cute, don't ya think?" he said and I glared at him intensely. She's my property and if he thinks he can take her from me then I will beat him into a pulp.

He just chuckled at my glare and stood up. "See ya later Chaos" he said before walking back over to his table. I growled in annoyance before looking back down to check on Lucy. She was talking to Levy with Happy sitting beside them while eating a fish. "Have you read chapter forty-nine? Amanda and Steven were so cute in that chapter" Levy asked. "I totally agree! I squealed when they kissed" Lucy replied. "Oh my gosh, me too!" Levy squealed.

I turned away, not interested in their bookworm talk until I heard something interesting. "Where are you going Lucy?" I heard Levy say and turned my head back to the conversation. "I'm going to the request board to pick my first job. I need money to buy a place to live. Do you want to come and help me pick Happy?" Lucy asked excitedly. "Aye!" Happy replied and then flew beside her as she ran to the request board.

"Hm, finding a magic bracelet. Breaking a curse from a cursed cane. Foretelling hm...Oh! This one looks interesting" Lucy said as she pulled a job off the request board. "What does it say Lucy?" Happy asked. I listened intently to hear what job she wanted to take. "I have to hunt a volcano monster" she replied with a smile. What?! "Mira! I'm taking this volcano monster job!" I heard her call out. I can't let her get herself killed! You can't fight a fire type monster with fire.

I abruptly stood up and saw her walking towards the guild doors. I jumped over the railing and landed on the first floor in front of her before she could walk out the door. "Woah! Oh hey Natsu, what's up?" she asked and then the whole guild became shocked. "Did she really call Chaos by his real name?!" I heard some people whispering. I'm sure Lucy heard them too but she ignored it.

I snatched the job request out of her hand. "What? Hey, that's mine!" she complained as she tried to grab the paper from my hand but I kept it out of her reach. "You're not taking this job" I said coldly with a threatening growl and she pouted. "You can't tell me what to do. You're not Igneel!" she complained like a little kid. "Besides, I can handle myself and I've memorised the job request so you can't stop me" she added while crossing her arms. I groaned in frustration, 'I guess I have no choice' I thought. I threw her over my shoulder and walked out of the guild. If I can't stop her from going then I'm going with her. "Not again! Put me down Natsu!" she shouted while struggling against my grasp. I was about to call for Happy to follow but then I saw him already following behind us. Looks like we are going to take down a volcano monster.

I looked at the job request and it said we needed to go to the town Hazelwood near Mt Jigoku. It was a short walk North-West from Magnolia which was good. I don't have to hear Lucy's complaining for very long. So, I headed out of Magnolia while carrying a struggling and complaining Lucy.

Once we were in the forest outside of Magnolia, I dropped Lucy onto the ground without warning. "Ow...A little bit of a warning would've been nice!" she shouted while standing up and rubbing her sore butt. I growled, "do you want to do the job or not" I said coldly with a glare. "Oh. Well if you wanted to come with me, you could have just said so" she said and I rolled my eyes before walking in the direction we needed to go. I heard Lucy's footsteps and Happy flying following behind me.

"So Happy, how do you handle Natsu's mood swings?" I heard Lucy ask. 'I'm right here you know' I thought and growled. "You'll get used to it" Happy replied and I rolled my eyes. I ignored the rest of their conversation.

We were two hours into our walk when we heard a massive deafening roar. Without hesitation, Lucy ran towards the noise. Happy and I had no choice but to run after her. We saw a huge volcano monster in the distance destroying and burning down a town which I recognised as Hazelwood. The monster was five times bigger than a human with igneous rock for skin and lava oozing out of every crack around its body. It stood on two feet and had a beast-like head.

Lucy didn't hesitate to attack the monster by punching it in the chest with her Fire Dragon Iron Fist attack. The monster fell backwards from the force of the hit. "Natsu we should help her!" Happy said but I held my arm up in front of him to stop him. I was interested to see how powerful she really is and if she's in trouble, I'll step in. "I want to see what happens" I said to him and he watched a little anxiously.

While the monster was down, she ran towards the head. "Fire Dragon Roar!" she chanted. A roar of flames hit the monster's face and it roared in pain. I was surprised that her flames hurt the monster. This woman keeps getting more interesting.

The monster grew angry and swatted her like she was a fly before standing back up. I took a step forward to intervene but then saw her land on her feet with a hand on the left side of her stomach. "Tch, that's gonna bruise" she grumbled. "I've had enough of you. Fire Dragon Wing Attack!" she chanted and the wing-like flames knocked the monster back. The monster roared a lava attack at Lucy but she leapt to the side, dodging it.

"Lucy's amazing huh?" Happy said and I had to agree. I was impressed, she was able to analysis the monster's weak points and hit them first before it could attack her. She continued to attack all of the monster's weak points while avoiding its attacks. I noticed the lava around the monster was becoming dull which means it was weakening. "Time to finish this" Lucy said and then began to suck up all the flames from the surrounding burning buildings until they were all out. "Ah, now I've got a fire in my belly" she said with a smirk. She lit both of her hands and raised them in the air. "Fire Dragon Brilliant Flame!" she chanted as large ball of flames grew in her hands. She threw it at the monster's chest and it roared in pain before crumbling into a pile of rubble.

"Wow Lucy, that was amazing!" Happy said while flying over to her. I walked over to them and Lucy turns to me. "I told you I can handle myself" she said. I nodded in agreement and she smiled. "The monster's dead!" we heard a person cheer in the distance and then we were surrounded by the townspeople. "Thank you so much for ridding our town of that dreadful monster. What is your name?" the mayor stepped up and asked Lucy. "My name is Lucy but people also call me Salamander" she replied. "Here is your reward" the mayor said while handing her a bag full of jewels. "If you have any other problems don't hesitate to contact Fairy Tail" Lucy said. "We will. Thank you again" the mayor replied and then we headed back towards Magnolia.