Chapter 89 - Protective Instincts

Natsu's POV

It broke my heart to hear Lucy's cries for the death of her father. She cried into my chest in my arms, clenching at my cloak for dear life. I kind of understand her pain. She finally found her dragon father after searching for most of her life, only to witness him dying right in front of her. Doesn't help that the murderer was her mate's father, my father.

Speaking of my father, I was beyond enraged with him. Like Lucy, I was searching for my dragon father, but I had never expected him to insult my beautiful mate when I finally found him after all these years. She's not pathetic and she was the best thing to ever happen to me. She's going to be the best mother to my child. Also, how dare he call me weak. Spending time with Lucy and the guild has made me stronger and now I know they'll have my back.

Noticing it was getting late in the afternoon and we hadn't eaten since breakfast, I picked Lucy up in my arms and she became slightly surprised. "Natsu?" she asked as she wiped the last of her tears from her eyes. I gave her a bright smile that I don't normally show people, hoping to cheer her up. "Let's go home" I said and then started to walk towards the city. Lucy wrapped her arms around my neck and hugged me. "Thank you for being with me Natsu" she said, and I gave her a kiss on the lips. "Aww~" Happy teased, reminding us of his presence along with Celestia's. I groaned with an eye roll while Lucy giggled a little. At least she cheered up a bit.

As I was walking through the city, I saw people inspecting the damage. Celestia left to inform the guild on what happened while Happy stayed with me and Lucy. I looked down to check how Lucy was doing and noticed she was fighting to stay awake. I bet all that crying made her exhausted. "Sleep" I said softly and gave her a kiss on the forehead. She didn't argue against me as she closed her eyes and her breaths slowed.

"Will Lucy be alright?" Happy asked, concerned as he flew beside us. I nodded and then my mind wandered back to what Acnologia said before he flew away. 'This isn't over Natsu' his words echoed in my mind. That wasn't an empty threat. Once he's recovered enough from his injury, he'll return and knowing him...he'll be after Lucy.

I stopped walking and a growl rumbled in my throat at the thought. "Ah Natsu?" Happy spoke up, noticing my anger. "What's wrong?" he asked. I looked down at Lucy and my protective instincts kicked in. "Acnologia will be back and he will be back for Lucy...but I won't let him take her away from me" I vowed with a growl at the end. "And Fairy Tail will be there to help us fight him" Happy said while putting his paw on my shoulder. I had no doubt in his words.

Without another word, I continued walking until I ended up at Lucy's apartment. After I entered her apartment through her window, I laid her down on her bed and sat beside her. I brushed a strand of hair out of her face while watching her peaceful sleeping face. "Creepy~" the annoying blue cat teased, reminding me once again of his presence. I groaned before grabbing Happy's tail, throwing him out of the window and closing the window. I looked down at Lucy again and she was still asleep. Luckily, she didn't wake up to see that.

Suddenly she whimpered in her sleep, catching my attention. Tears flowed from her closed eyes and her body tensed up. It was clear she was reliving Igneel's death in a nightmare. I immediately shook her shoulder lightly and she woke up with fear on her face. When she finally noticed me, she hugged me tightly. I wrapped my arms around her waist, hugging her back. "Shhhh, I'm here" I cooed while stroking her back, trying to calm her down. She pulled back and wiped her tears away. "Sorry, it was just a nightmare" she said looking away from me, clearly trying to be strong. I shook my head. She just lost her father earlier today, I didn't expect her to be 100% fine, but I don't believe her nightmare was only about Igneel's death. The way she looked at me and sought for me when she woke up told me differently.

"Tell me" I demanded. She looked up at me and sighed. "I was reliving Igneel's death but instead of Acnologia flying away, he..." she paused, reluctant to continue. "What?" I asked softly, encouraging her to continue. "He...killed you for betraying him" she continued. That explained her expression when she woke up. Knowing Acnologia, he wouldn't kill his only son. The worst I would expect would be a painful punishment from him, but she didn't know that.

"I know it was just a dream, but it felt so real" she said and then I placed my hand on top of hers. "I'm not going anywhere" I said to reassure her and leaned in, kissing her lips. She kissed me back and wrapped her arms around my neck, pulling me closer. When we pulled away, we heard a knock on the window. On the other side was Happy holding a basket with Celestia, "dinner?" he asked. 'Great, he's back so soon' I thought sarcastically. Lucy smiled as she opened her window letting them in.