Chapter 75 - A Season of Love

Lucy's POV

It has been a month since Nobu and his gang were arrested by the Rune Knights and everything has gone back to normal. Natsu and Gray are fighting which has become a lot more frequent recently. Luckily for the guild, their fights are less destructive than when I first saw them fight. The others were ignoring them except for Juvia who was staring lovingly at Gray from behind a column. Erza was enjoying her strawberry cake, Levy was talking to Gajeel and Pantherlily, and Kyan and Celestia were talking and laughing. I was sitting at one of the tables, enjoying reading a new book I got recently while drinking one of Mira's delicious strawberry milkshakes.

From my peripheral vision, I noticed Kaito walking towards me. It wasn't hard to guess it was another attempt at flirting with me. I pretended not to notice him and continued to read my book. "Morning Lucy" he greeted as he took a seat in front of me. I looked up from my book. For once, the first thing out of his mouth wasn't a pickup line. I was surprised but I didn't show it on my face. "Morning Kaito" I replied with a smile. "I was wondering if you could help me. My chest feels like it's burning, and my water cannot extinguish it since it's your beauty that has set my heart ablaze" he added. I spoke too soon on the pickup lines.

"Ah, that's sweet Kaito but remember I told you I'm mated to Na-" before I could finish my sentence Kaito got kicked across the guild by the one and only Natsu. Natsu growled angrily and took a seat where Kaito was sitting before he got kicked across the guild. "You didn't have to kick him that hard" I said but I was a little grateful to not get another one of Kaito's daily pickup lines. "He won't take a hint that you're mine" Natsu grumbled while crossing his arms and glaring at Kaito who scurried away in a hurry.

I lifted my book higher to hide my blushing face. Natsu leant across the table and gently pushed the book down. I tried to struggle to hide my blush but he was stronger than me. He saw my blush and I couldn't look at him in the eyes. "Cute" I heard him say and my heart fluttered. I looked back at him and saw a gentle smile on his face as he looked at me before he went back to his neutral expression. Natsu would openly compliment me from time to time, sometimes with a smile too, and it always made me blush and my heart beat faster.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Gajeel was being extra clingy around Levy when Jet and Droy were around. I realised a small feeling I've been feeling recently along with a very important event was coming up. "Natsu, do you feel mating season is coming?" I asked. "Yep and I think Metalhead is feeling the effects too" he replied pointing to Gajeel. Even though Kaito and Wendy were also Dragon Slayers they didn't seem to be affected by the season yet. Wendy is underage and Kaito doesn't seem to have found his mate yet but that won't stop him from searching like a predator when the season arrives.

After confirming my feeling of mating season coming, I was a little concerned for the other Dragon Slayers. "Since they're not mated yet, Gajeel and Kaito might not be in control of their actions when the season arrives and might force themselves onto their mates. Even though it might not come to that, we better keep an eye on them and make sure they don't do anything they might regret" I said. "Do we have to? Sounds like a pain. Can't we just enjoy mating season together?" Natsu grumbled. I grasped Natsu's hand and held it in mine. I looked deep into his eyes. "I promise to spend one-on-one time with you during mating season. Will you help me?" I said and he sighed. "Fine" he replied.

"What's this about mating season?" Happy asked as he flew over with Celestia. Both of them landed on the table and sat between us. "Natsu and I can feel it coming soon and we were talking about making sure the other Dragon Slayers do not do anything they might regret" I replied. Happy pulled a fish out of his little green bag and began chewing on it. "How long does mating season last?" Celestia asked. "Seven days" I replied. "What's so bad about seven days?" Happy questioned while he nibbled on his fish. "A lot can happen in seven days" I replied with dread.