Chapter 25 - Warming Up

Natsu's POV

Happy and I stood beside the guild's front doors as everyone watched Wendy healing Lucy's back in amazement. A turquoise light glowed from her hands onto Lucy's bruise. From what I heard, it's an ability of her Sky Dragon Slaying magic. After the light from Wendy's hands faded away, she moved her hands and Lucy's back looked like she never got the bruise at all. "Thanks Wendy" Lucy said as she stood up and stretched. Now that I know she's fine, it was time for me and Happy to go home. "Come on Happy" I said and then walked out the doors with him flying beside me.

"Hey Natsu, I need to talk to you about something" Happy spoke up. "Hm" I responded to let him know I was listening. "Do you like Lucy?" he asked hesitantly, and I raised an eyebrow at him in question. Wondering what he was implying. "Like, do you loooove~ her?" he said with a bit of a tease. I turned my head to him and growled threatening. He instantly put some distance between us. "Ok sorry, please don't throw me across the city again" he pleaded and then I faced forward. "Then do you like her as a friend?" he asked, coming a bit closer. What kind of question is that? Happy's my only friend. "No" I replied firmly.

"Really? Cause it seems like you're lying to me Natsu" he said, in a way like he knows something that I don't. I turned into a nearby alleyway and leant against the wall. This way we can have a private conversation without the public listening in. "What are you talking about Happy? I've never lied to you" I asked. "You did Natsu. I can see you're warming up to Lucy" he replied. "Yeah right. I'm not warming up to Blondie. She's just a means to an end. I'm only keeping her around so she can lead me to Acnologia" I said harshly.

He sighed and shook his head in disagreement. "You're lying to yourself Natsu. I can see it by the way you act with her. You see her as a friend because she's been the only person other than me to get to know you. The real you that I see, and I'm sure if you ask her, she will gladly help you find Acnologia because you're her friend" he said, and I felt something within me snap. "She's not my friend!" I shouted as I slammed my fist into the wall behind me. She's not my friend because I know one day she'll turn her back on me just like the rest of them. Happy looked disappointed in me and flew out of the alleyway, back the way we came. "Where are you going?" I growled and he stopped for a moment. "To Lucy" he said without looking back at me before flying off towards the guild.

I tsked and walked out the other end of the alleyway towards our home. 'What does he know' I inwardly growled as I angrily glared at the ground. Everyone around me kept their distance as I stomped through the streets. They could practically see the rage boiling off of my body. My only friend walked out...flew out on me. How could he think that I like Blondie? I only need him.

Soon I arrived home and I slammed the door behind me so hard that the whole house shook. I stepped over all the mess we had on the floor and sat down on the couch. The silence was deafening without Happy's presence and chatter. I rolled my head back so it was resting on the back of the couch and then sat in silence. "Was the house always this quiet?" I wondered out loud. I've been home alone before but for some reason, the house felt extra silent today.

A sudden knock on the door broke the silence. Who could it be? No one ever comes here except for the old man. It couldn't be Happy because he would've flown in. I walked over to the door and opened it with a glare. On the other side of the door was Blondie with Happy on her shoulder and my glare intensified. "Leave" I growled towards Blondie and tried to slam the door in her face but she grabbed the door.

"Natsu, we need to have a talk and I'm not leaving until we sort things out" she said firmly as she invited herself inside. I growled while shutting the door and then I leant against it with my arms crossed. "When was the last time you two cleaned this place up?" Blondie commented as she looked around the room. "If you don't like it then leave" I growled and she rolled her eyes. I can't believe she rolled her eyes at me.

Happy flew off her shoulder and sat on the back of the couch. "So Happy told me you don't see me as a friend, and you only want me around because you want my help in finding Acnologia. Is that right?" she asked with a pained expression and I directed a glare towards Happy. He immediately looked out the window to avoid my glare. 'He told her everything' I inwardly growled.

"Yeah, so what?" I replied and she sighed sadly. "Honestly that hurts Natsu. I considered you my friend from the day we met" she said, and I felt something hurt deep in my heart. It felt like someone was crushing my heart. 'What is this feeling?' I wondered and became angry at this unfamiliar painful feeling. What did she do to me?!

"You're lying. You'll hate me just like the rest of them" I growled. Another pain stung my heart. "No I won't. I don't believe any of the rumours" she replied. "If you heard them, then why the hell are you hanging around me?!" I demanded to know. Is she naïve or just stupid? Why would she still be hanging around me after hearing all the awful rumours about me?

"Gr, why is it so hard for you to understand?! Are you really that dense?!" she shouted as she became frustrated. My glare intensified into pure rage. "Daddy don't hit Mummy. Daddy don't hit Mummy" Happy joked as he was peeking out from behind the couch. I turned my glare on him and then he completely hid behind the couch.

"Don't you see? I want to be your friend. I can see that you're nothing like the rumours and I want to get to know the real you. I will never betray you and I will gladly help you find your dragon because you're my friend" she said sincerely and I looked at her in shock. My heart felt warm at her words and I felt my anger fading away. "So can we be friends? Officially?" she asked with her hand out for a handshake. 'She wants to be my friend?' I thought to myself as I stared at her hand.

I was wrong, she wasn't like everyone else. Everyone judged me because of the rumours and who my father was but she didn't. She generally wants to be my friend. My whole body was screaming to be friends with her. I hesitantly extended my hand and grasped her hand, accepting the handshake. "Friends" I replied and she smiled brightly. Happy flew over from behind the couch with a smile and put both his paws on top of our hands. Now Lucy is my friend and not my property. If anyone dares to hurt my friends, they will feel my wrath.