Chapter 9 - Friend of Mine

Lucy's POV

After handing all the Bloody Sphinx members except Zard to the Rune Knights, our group was heading to the train station until Natsu took a turn towards the forest with Happy following. I guessed his intentions were to avoid taking the train now that the job is done. To be honest, I rather walk home to Fairy Tail than take the train. "I think we'll walk home" I told Erza and Gray. "Are you sure Lucy? It'll take you almost half a day to return to the guild" Erza asked. I gave a quick look to Natsu and Happy, who were walking away, before turning back towards Erza. "I'm sure. See you back at the guild" I replied with a smile and waved before jogging to catch up to Natsu and Happy. They waved back and then continued towards the train station.

During our walk home through the forest, Happy was rambling on about his favourite type of fish and best fishing spots. "Natsu and I have a special fishing spot near our house. I should take you there sometime" he said. "I would like that" I replied and then I stopped when a metallic scent hit my nose. "Iron?" I questioned and then quickly jumped out of the way as an iron club smashed into the ground where I was once standing. "Gihi nice to see you again Salamander" the owner of the iron club, Gajeel, said as he retracted his iron club arm. "Same to you Metal Head. Ready to get your butt kicked again?" I smirked. "Not this time" he smirked back. "Hey guys, stay out of this. I've got this" I told Natsu and Happy without taking my eyes off Gajeel. "Go get him Lucy!" Happy cheered while Natsu stayed silent.

Since Gajeel made the first move, I decided it would be best if I returned the favour. I leapt towards him and swung my flaming fist at him. "Fire Dragon Iron Fist!" I chanted and he countered it by using his iron club arm. He chuckled before punching my stomach with his other fist. I grimace in pain but then grabbed his wrists before swinging him into a tree. He used the tree as a springboard and leapt back towards me. I steadied myself for his next attack. "Iron Dragon Sword!" he chanted and his iron club arm turned into a jagged iron blade. "He's a Dragon Slayer too?!" I heard Happy exclaim.

Gajeel sliced his iron blade down and I did a back handspring to dodge it. With a quick twist of his wrist, he changed the direction of his iron blade and slashed it sideways. I jumped and put my hand on the flat part of the blade to steady myself before landing on my feet. We both jump back to gain some distance. "Nimble as ever I see" Gajeel chuckled, "this is barely a warm up. I haven't even broken a sweat" I teased with a smirk. "Ok time to turn this up a notch" he replied and his skin turned into iron dragon scales. "That's new, bring it on" I said, rolling my shoulders back as I lit both of my fists and then we both charged at each other.

We both pulled our right arms back and punched each other's fists. "Argh!" I exclaimed and retracted my hand. Blood bled from my knuckles where our fists collided. I shook off the pain as a smirk grew on Gajeel's face. I wiped that smirk off his face with one of my own as his iron armour cracked from his knuckles to his elbow. "Feeling a draft?" I joked. He put his hands up to his mouth and I knew he was about to do a breath attack so I did the same. "Iron Dragon!" he started to chant, "Fire Dragon" I followed. "Roar!" we finished together and our breath attacks clashed together making a huge explosion. As the smoke dispersed, we were both still standing.

With a simple look, Gajeel and I walked up to each other and then he put an arm around my shoulders in a light chokehold. We laughed as he gave me a quick noogie. "If we kept fighting, I bet you would've still won" he said. "Yep but I've noticed you have gotten better since the last time we fought" I replied. "I've been training since the last time you beat me gihi" he chuckled.

"You two know each other?" Happy asked, surprised and then we turned to him. "Yeah, he's a friend of mine. We've met a few times on my travels and spar to test out our strength" I replied. "Who are ya friends Bunny Girl?" Gajeel asked as he slipped his arm off my shoulders. "This is Natsu and this is Happy. Guys, this is Gajeel the Iron Dragon Slayer" I replied while pointing to said people. "You're just like Panther Lily" Gajeel said as he stared at Happy. "Panther Lily, your cat that I haven't met yet?" I asked, "he talks and flies too but also transforms. Can this one transform too?" he asked. "I didn't know Panther Lily was an exceed" I said. "Transform? Can he transform into a yummy fishy?!" Happy asked excitedly, pawing at the air. "No, into a cat warrior" Gajeel smirked proudly and Happy look dejected. 'Aw poor little guy. Maybe he can learn transformation magic from Mira' I thought. "No fishy" Happy mumbled sadly and I got ticked off. 'That's what he's upset about?!' I thought with anger.

"Wait a minute" Gajeel started as he looked at Natsu. "I've seen you before. You're Chaos from Fairy Tail right?" Gajeel asked and Natsu growled in response. Gajeel grabbed my arm and pulled me away from Natsu and Happy. "Why are you with someone like him Lucy? Did you know he's Chaos the son of Acnologia?" Gajeel asked. "Trust me Gajeel. He's not as bad as everyone says he is" I replied. "How are you sure?" he asked and I put on a straight face to show him I'm serious with what I was going to say next. "I can see it in his eyes" I replied. He sighed, "alright, I trust your judgement" he said before walking back over to Natsu and Happy.

"If you ever hurt Bunny Girl then you'll have to answer to me" Gajeel told Natsu with a glare which didn't affect him. "Again with that nickname" I muttered to myself and then chuckled. "We better keep heading home to Magnolia. We have a long walk ahead of us" I said and walked ahead. Natsu and Happy followed close behind me. "Oh yeah, Gajeel!" I called out as I turned around and walked backwards. "You should join Fairy Tail and bring Juvia and Panther Lily with you too. I'll put in a good word about you to the Master" I said and he smirked. "See ya around Salamander" he replied and I smiled as I turned back around. I'll take that as a yes to my offer. See you soon Black Steel Gajeel.