Chapter 84 - Hell Breaks Loose

Lucy's POV

It's day four of Dragon Mating Season and I am EXHAUSTED. For the past three days, Natsu and I have been chasing around the other Dragon Slayers when they went out of control which was becoming more frequent. Mainly it had been Kaito and Gajeel. Luckily as the book said Sting and Rogue have been tamed so far but I could tell they were starting to feel the effects of the season more and more. Speaking of the book, I haven't been able to read more of it since we've been busy dealing with the others.

Right now, I was resting in the guild at a table next to Natsu with his arm wrapped around my shoulder. Since the first day of the season, Natsu has been getting touchier and cuddlier towards me but I'm not complaining. I love his attention. Sting and Rogue were at the bar talking with Gray, Erza and Wendy. Kaito and Gajeel were trapped downstairs in the underground prison because they went out of control this morning. Everything was calm for now. Three more days until the season is over and we just need to hang in until then.

Mira walked over with the strawberry milkshake I ordered. "Thanks Mira" I said as she placed it in front of me. "No problem. Would...Natsu...like something to eat or drink?" Mira hesitantly asked. The guild was slowly warming up to talking to Natsu and calling him by his name instead of 'Chaos' which was nice to see. "Hm, ramen" Natsu replied in a calm tone. Mira smiled and walked back to the bar to make his order.

After I took another sip of my strawberry milkshake, Natsu took a sip which shocked me. "Hey, that's my milkshake!" I complained but he shrugged his shoulders. "Delicious" he commented with a small smile. "If you wanted one then you should've asked Mira for one" I said. "But yours is yummier" he replied and took another sip. "Hey!" I complained again but he just ignored it.

Soon Mira came back with a bowl of ramen and a strawberry milkshake and placed them in front of us. I gave her a questioning look since I didn't order another milkshake, but she bent down to whisper in my ear. "For you two to share" she giggled and then walked back to the bar before I could respond with a skip in her step. I smiled and shook my head. 'Cheeky Mira' I thought before taking another sip of my drink.

A sudden loud bang made everyone in the guild jump. It clearly came from the guild's underground prison. Natsu growled while tightening his hold on my shoulders. A distinct smell hit my nose and I knew who broke out. "Kaito" I whispered and stood up. Said Water Dragon Slayer burst into the main hall with his eyes glowing blue, but I was surprised to find Gajeel standing behind him with grey glowing eyes. They somehow worked together to get themselves out.

I realised that Levy was in immediate danger since Gajeel was out. "What's going on?" I heard someone say as the whole guild's attention was on Kaito and Gajeel. "What's going on with their eyes?" another person asked. I quickly scanned the room and found Levy on the other side of the guild. "I'll take Gajeel. You take Kaito" I told Natsu. He growled but started running towards Kaito while I ran towards Levy. "Lu, what's going on with Gajeel and Kaito?" she asked. "Short answer, it's Dragon Mating season and you're Gajeel's mate. Let's go" I quickly said before grabbing her hand and running out the guild with her. "What?" she questioned but ran with me without hesitation. "I'll explain more when I get him under control" I explained. I tried to think of a place to fight Gajeel without getting innocent civilians hurt and the only place I could think of was outside the city in the forest.

I looked behind us and I noticed Gajeel slowly catching up to us. At this rate, he'll reach us in no time. With my quick thinking, I came up with a plan to push the distance between us. "Sorry Levy" I said as I pulled her into a hug. She looked up at me confused before I used my flames on my feet to propel us into the air. Levy screamed and held onto me tighter. I quickly landed at the edge of the city and quickly pulled Levy into the forest. My little trick won't delay Gajeel for long.

Once I was sure we were enough distance away, I picked up some mud. "Cover yourself with mud and hide. I'll try to hold back Gajeel as long as I can and hopefully get him under control. Do not come out for any reason until I tell you it's safe" I told her. "Lu, you're scaring me a little, but I trust you. You're not going to hurt Gajeel are you?" she asked as she smudged the mud over her body. "I'll try but now that it's day four, it'll be hard to stop him without some force. Now go hide, I can't smell your scent so he won't either" I replied and she quickly ran to hide.

I waited where I was for him to arrive which didn't take long. "Bring it on Gajeel" I muttered and stood in a fighting as he stopped in front of me. He growled like an animal and looked around for Levy. "You'll need to get through me if you want to get to Levy" I said and then he lunged at me.

According to my book, male Dragon Slayers become stronger in strength during the season to protect their female mates. For female Dragon Slayers, we become smarter and stronger in fighting to temporarily fight off any unwanted males who want to mate.

I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with Gajeel in a one-on-one fight for long while he's been taken over by his instinct, but I had one goal that could win the fight in my favour. Find an opportunity to knock him out.