Chapter 65 - Obsidian Monster

Natsu's POV

It's been a week since I started dating Lucy. I'm sitting up in my usual spot on the second floor, watching Lucy having a conversation with a group of guildmates. Within the group were a few males such as Gray and Gajeel but I wasn't worried. I grasped the dragon necklace around my neck. Ever since I gave Lucy the matching necklace, my mind has been at ease. She can call me with her necklace if she's ever in trouble, plus I know she can handle herself.

"Lucy, Natsu. Come to my office please" the old man called out from the second-floor railing before walking into his office. I waited until Lucy stood up and walk up the stairs before I stood up and followed her to the old man's office. "What is it you need from us Gramps?" Lucy asked as we sat down on the couch in front of his desk. I rested my arm around the back of her seat.

"I've received a job here requesting the two of you. It's a monster fighting request. There's an obsidian monster causing havoc in the forest north of Mt Hakabe for the past two days. No one knows where it came from but I have heard rumours of similar monsters of different elements popping up in other countries around Fiore like Bosco" he explained. Sounded like this job could be something bigger than just a monster-hunting job.

"Sounds like fun. We'll take down that monster and let you know if we find anything that might connect this monster to the others" Lucy replied with confidence as she stood up. He handed her the request sheet and then we walked out of his office. Now that I was standing next to Lucy, I held her hand as we walked out of the guild. Happy and Celestia flew after us as soon as they noticed us leaving.

After we had packed our backpacks, we headed towards the train station. As much as we hate taking the train, Lucy convinced me that it's the fastest way to travel. It would take us three whole days to walk there while it'll take a day and a half with the train's help. By the time the train trip was over, it was nighttime. We decided to rest in a hotel for the night and then defeat the monster tomorrow.

As we were settling into our shared hotel room, Lucy walked over to the balcony and leaned against the railing. I joined her on the balcony and stood beside her. She took a deep breath of the fresh night air. I slid my arm across the railing and held her hand. She gave me a tired smile and rested her head on my shoulder. I looked down at her with a soft smile and thought 'I still can't believe I've found a beautiful mate who loves me.' The whole idea of having a mate still hit me like a train, a good type of train though. The short memories of loneliness about being unmated forever seem like a distant pastime.

When a yawn escaped her lips, I decided it was time to take her to bed. "Come on" I said as I lead her back inside by her hand. As we turned towards the door, we saw Happy and Celestia jumping on our king-sized bed like children. I rolled my eyes while Lucy giggled and then we went inside.

The next morning, Lucy and I were woken up by the sound of a roar coming from outside. We rushed towards the balcony and then we heard another roar in the distance. "It sounds close. Let's go" Lucy said and then quickly rushed inside to wake up Happy and Celestia. They tiredly sat up but fully woke up when we heard the third roar.

We followed the sound of the roars deep into the forest surrounding the town. When we were a few kilometres away from the town, we saw a giant obsidian monster stomping around. It was the size of five-storey building, stood on two stumpy legs, had two bulky arms, and had a massive red eye. One of the many cracks across its body opened up wide underneath it's eye, revealing to be its mouth, and let out another colossal roar.

"Looks like we've found our monster" Happy said and I hummed in agreement. "Take me up Celestia" Lucy said while staring up at the monster. Without hesitation, Celestia grabbed her back and flew her into the air. "Happy" I called and he got my message. He grabbed my back and lifted me up to be side-by-side with the girls. "It's heading towards the town" Celestia said, noticing the direction the monster was heading. If we didn't stop this monster now, it would attack the town within a few minutes. "We've got to stop it before it hits the town. Natsu take out it's legs, I'll go for the head" Lucy said and I nodded. Happy flew us down towards the legs. With my ignited black flaming fist, I punched the back of the monster's legs. My punch didn't have much effect in breaking the skin of the monster but my attack did make it stumble.

Looking up, I saw Lucy flying at the monster's head with flaming fists, aiming for it's eye. Noticing Lucy's presence, the monster raised a hand to swat her away but Celestia skilfully manoeuvred around it's hand. Lucy clapped her flaming hands together and raised them up to create a giant ball of fire. "Fire Dragon Brilliant Flame!" she chanted as she threw the fireball at the monster's eye. It roared in pain, closing it's eye, as it fell backwards onto the ground from the force of her attack. We were shocked when the monster blinked the fire away almost immediately and began to stand back up. The fact that the monster wasn't fazed by our attacks even slightly means we were in for a tough fight.