forty-six

~a year changes you a lot~
-----------

~a year changes you a lot~-----------

****

The time passes, day by day. Isn't it funny how the days pass by and nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different? When I look back to my time when I first arrived here at Hogwarts, it seems like another life, I was just trying to enjoy my life, trying to find my purpose in the world. I never understood where my place in the world is, I had no definition of the purpose of life. Now, I think that the purpose of life is not to be happy, it's to be honourable, to be useful, to be compassionate, it's to make some difference that you've lived and lived well. And maybe, these things will lead you to be happy, you weren't born to pay bills and just die. The purpose of life is a life of purpose.

Sometimes, I feel like my life is written in the stars because of my prophecy but it's not. The prophecy gives me something to fight for, a possible outcome of a prediction but I think it's just a chance to give my life a purpose, I can choose whether I try my best to make a difference, to try to make the world a better place but still live my own story and trying to life my own life, the one that isn't possibly written in the stars or to stress about it, devoting my whole life to this cause without actually living my own life, becoming so engrossed in this prophecy that I forget everything around me.

I'm trying to make a difference, I'm trying to use my abilities to help my friends, even with small things like an encouraging smile, to make them feel better, trying to stop them from a horrible faith. I think the prophecy is a part of my purpose of my life but it's not my whole purpose, I don't live to defeat the dark lord but I live to make a difference, just like everyone else in the world, I think the small thinks matter.

I sat in a quiet corner at the library, there was a window next to me and I looked outside, watching the drops of water run down the window. I thought that storms were quite calming, I loved how the rain pattered against the windows as I watched the wind rush over the Hogwarts grounds. The dark sky was once again lit up by lightning as I rested my chin on my palm.

I tried to learn for upcoming exams but my mind was elsewhere. I would rather go back to the common room and read a book or sit in my dorm, in front of the windows, daydreaming while watching the lightning flashing across the sky. I closed my book and let out a sigh when I heard footsteps nearing my quiet corner. I looked up to see Lily walking up to my table.

She pulled out the chair and slumped down. We sat there in silence; I was waiting for her to speak because she looked like she couldn't form the sentence that she wanted to tell me.

"Okay," she cleared her throat and shifted uncomfortable in her seat "How did you know that you liked Sirius?"

I let out a laugh, enjoying her awkwardness. "I guess it's about James?"

"Uhm-no?" she avoided looking at me and was suddenly interested in her hands.

"Well, when I'm around Sirius, I feel calm and save, as if he was a cave where I could seek shelter in a raging storm. I feel these butterflies in my stomach whenever he laughs or I catch him looking at me, when I'm around him it's like breathing, liking him is the most natural thing I've ever known."