seventy

~focus on the good~
---------

~focus on the good~---------

****

A few days ago, Talea received a letter from the Ministry. It was the acceptance letter of the Department of Mysteries. It seemed to be a spark of hope that lit up the darkness. Maybe it was a sign that in the end everything will be just fine, a sign that there might still be something left instead of war. Maybe it happened for a reason?

But maybe things don't happen for a reason, maybe there is no such thing as a sign. Maybe we're just searching for ways to make sense to the chaos surrounding us. Maybe there isn't a meaning behind everything and we're just clinging to hope so hard in order to forget about reality.

What if there's nothing meant to be?

Maybe we tricked ourself into believing that everything will be just fine in the end, that everything will work out, so we don't have to face the reality that it might won't. But to Talea it didn't matter, she just didn't want to lose hope because maybe there was a meaning behind it all. Maybe it was worth the waiting, she didn't wanted to lose joy only because she had no faith in the future.

She was walking through the busy Ministry, there were people everywhere in the halls except when she got into the dungeons. The Department of Mysteries was placed on the second-lowest level of the Ministry of Magic, Level Nine. Unlike the other levels this one was covered in black-tiled walls that bear with no windows and no doors, except one. Light was provided only by torches, which glowed with a blue-white light.

Talea was to meet one of the employed in front of the black door. As she walked closer, she saw that a man was already standing in front of it. She wondered if she was already too late but when she took a look at her watch, she saw that she was in fact three minutes too early.

The man sends her a wave "You must be Talea Lupin, am I correct?" She nodded and he shook her hand "Saul Croaker, you better come in it is quite dangerous to stand in front of the department for too long."

He pulled her with him as he opened the door in a rush, sending a last glance over his shoulder. When he closed the door, Talea found herself in a circular room with a dark marble floor that looked almost like standing water, candles emitting a cool blue light, and twelve handleless doors.

Croaker let out a sigh and looked around "This is the Entrance chamber, whenever you close a door, the walls will rotate. It is meant to disorient any unauthorised people. Now come on" he pulled her with him again, it seemed like he was in a big rush.

He pushed a door open and pulled her in, it seemed to be an office but it was stuffed with random things, like plants, clocks or- to her surprise- brains.

Saul Croaker walked over to his desk and pulled out a wand and scribbled something on a piece of parchment before watching it fly off in the shape of a paper plane. "Alright, listen. In order to become an Unspeakable, you have to make an unbreakable vow. A vow to never tell anyone that isn't working here about the secrets of the Department of Mysteries if you haven't gotten a written permission from the head of your department. You will not tell anyone in which department you're working and you will not tell anyone the names of your colleagues."