The Potions Professor

They had been at Hogwarts for over a week and to say that Kirra loved it there would be an understatement. Though throughout the time she spent there, she had noticed that Mattheo had only seemed to hate her and act even more cold towards her than ever before. 

Mattheo had decided to make it his own personal mission to make the life of Kirra Potter, a living nightmare. Riddle often picked on her all day everyday and was constantly caught laughing at her with Draco, or knocking her books out of her hands and literally every other cruel intention that came to mind.

Mattheo Riddle clearly wasn't the only one who had it out for the girl either. On her second day at Hogwarts, Kirra Potter and her friends had wandered down to the potions classroom for their class, and it was only a matter of minutes before all hell had broken loose for her and her brother. Their Potions teacher, Professor Snape, seemed to have his own personal vendetta against the Potter siblings. 

Potions lessons took place down in one of the dungeons. It was colder down there than up in the main castle and would have been quite creepy enough without the pickled animals floating in glass jars all around the walls. While quite a few students didn't really mind the cool temperatures of the dungeons, Kirra would always have to wear her jumper and gloves whenever she got down there.

In fact, it had been so bad that JJ had often lent her his jumper when they went down there, handing it over with a concerned expression as he worried for his best friend.

Snape, like most of the other teachers, started the class by taking the roll call, and like most of the other teachers, he paused at Harry's and Kirra's names. "Ah, Yes," he said softly, "Harry and Kirra Potter. Our new — celebrities."

Kirra already didn't like the teacher's mood, his greasy hair, nor his intolerable voice.

Draco Malfoy, Mattheo Riddle, and their friends Crabbe and Goyle sniggered behind their hands.

"Did you forget to pack your hairbrush or did you actually think that having your hair looking like you hadn't brushed it in over a year was a good look on you?" Mattheo whispered to Kirra as he leaned forward over his desk which was right behind hers. Kirra didn't say anything, she pretended to ignore him as the Slytherins all began to snicker.

The laughter aimed towards her had made her shrink into her chair slightly, though not before trying to neaten her hair out. She combed her fingers through her hair in an attempt to untangle the curls and untidy areas, though no matter what she did, it always just chose to stick out in random places as if it had a mind of its own.

Snape finished calling the names and looked up at the class. His eyes were black like Hagrid's, but they had none of Hagrid's warmth. They were cold and empty and made you think of dark tunnels. 

"You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion making," he began. He spoke in barely more than a whisper, but they caught every word — like Professor McGonagall, Snape had the gift of keeping a class silent without effort.

"As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses... I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death — if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach." More silence followed this little speech.

Kirra and JJ exchanged looks with raised eyebrows, well didn't snape seem like such a wonderful man. "Who took a crap in his coffee this morning?" Kirra muttered to JJ who buried his face into his elbow as he attempted to hide his snickers.