Chapter 94

As June approached, the days became cloudless and sultry, and all anybody felt like doing was strolling into the grounds and flopping down on the grass with several pints of iced pumpkin juice, perhaps playing a casual game of Gobstones or watching the giant squid propel itself dreamily across the surface of the lake.

But they couldn't. 

The exams were nearly upon them, and instead of lazing around outside, the students were forced to remain inside the castle, trying to bully their brains into concentrating while enticing wafts of summer air drifted in through the windows. 

'Buckbeak's appeal – it's set for the sixth.' Hermione told the three of them, 'That's the day we finish our exams,' said Hermione, still looking everywhere for her Arithmancy book.

'And they're coming up here to do it,' said Kirra, still reading from the letter, 'Someone from the Ministry of Magic and – and an executioner.'

Hermione looked up, startled. 'They're bringing the executioner to the appeal! But that sounds as though they've already decided!'

'Yeah, it does,' said Harry slowly.

'They can't!' Ron howled, ' Kirra and I have spent ages reading up stuff for him, they can just ignore it all!'

But Kirra had a horrible feeling that the Committee for the Disposal of dangerous Creatures had had its mind made up for it by Mr Malfoy. Draco seemed to regain some of his old swagger over the next few days. From sneering comments Kirra and the three Gryffindors overheard, Malfoy was certain Buckbeak was going to be killed, and seemed thoroughly pleased with himself for bringing it about. 

Kirra had been held back by her friends and her boyfriend many times for going to put Draco in his place, and it was taking all she had to control herself. And the worst thing of all was that they had no time or opportunity to go and see Hagrid, because the strict new security measures had not been lifted and Kirra and Harry were now basically under constant surveillance

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exam week began and an unnatural hush fell over the castle. The third-years emerged from Transfiguration at lunchtime on Monday limp and ashen-faced, comparing results and bemoaning the difficulty of the tasks they had been set, which had included turning a teapot into a tortoise. 

'Mine still had a spout for a tail, what a nightmare ...' Jasper groaned out in annoyance

Theodore, Mattheo and Kirra hadn't had problems, they had passed the exam perfectly. 

Jasper than continued on talking about it, 'It still had a willow-patterned shell, d'you think that'll count against me?'

"Hopefully not" Kirra told the boy and pat him on the shoulder,

Then, after a hasty lunch, it was straight back upstairs for the Charms exam. Kirra had been right when they were studying; Professor Flitwick did indeed test them on Cheering Charms. Theodore slightly overdid his out of nerves, once again, Mattheo and Kirra had practically Aced the exam.

And Jasper had passed pretty well too.

 After dinner, the students hurried back to their common rooms, not to relax, but to start revising for Care of Magical Creatures, Potions and Astronomy. Hagrid presided over the Care of Magical Creatures exam the following morning with a very preoccupied air indeed; his heart didn't seem to be in it at all.

He had provided a large tub of fresh Flobberworms for the class, and told them that, to pass the test, their Flobberworm had to still be alive at the end of one hour. As Flobberworms flourished best if left to their own devices, it was the easiest exam any of them had ever sat.