Friends Again

"What?" said Kirra Potter, feeling her spirits slip a further few notches, she was praying that this wasn't going to be like how it was all those years ago, but she knew the truth, that what she was dreading was coming. She could feel it. She could feel him. 

Even after all these years, the connection between her and Tom Riddle hadn't truly severed even if she didn't want to admit it, she knew there were so many things to be worried about right now, hell she was a champion in the Triwizard (if you can even call it tri anymore) tournament and was about to go to head to head with dragons against her twin brother and one of her close friends

"You remember Karkaroff don't you love?" said Sirius and Kirra gently nodded her head, she knew, hell she was one of the witches who helped send him to Azkaban. he was a Death Eater.

"I still don't know why he got out though, im sure he went to Azkaban," Kirra whispered to her best friend through the flames

"He was in Azkaban with me, but he got released. I'd bet everything that's why Dumbledore wanted an Auror at Hogwarts this year — to keep an eye on him. Moody caught Karkaroff. Put him into Azkaban in the first place."

"Karkaroff got released so quickly and they are letting him run a fucking school?" Kirra said slowly — her brain seemed to be struggling to absorb yet another piece of shocking information. "Why did they release him?"

"He did a deal with the Ministry of Magic," said Sirius bitterly. "He said he'd seen the error of his ways, and then he named names . . . he put a load of other people into Azkaban in his place. . . . He's not very popular in there, I can tell you. And since he got out, from what I can tell, he's been teaching the Dark Arts to every student who passes through that school of his. So watch out for the Durmstrang champion as well."

"Okay," said Kirra slowly. "But . . ." she was thinking about it for a few moments and she knew what Sirius was saying, "you're saying Karkaroff put mine and Harry's name in the goblet? Because if he did, he's a really good actor. He seemed furious about it. He wanted to stop me from competing."

"We know he's a good actor," said Sirius, "because he convinced the Ministry of Magic to set him free, didn't he? Now, I've been keeping an eye on the Daily Prophet, Em —"

"— you and the rest of the world," said Kirra bitterly.

"— and reading between the lines of that stupid Skeeter woman's article last month, Moody was attacked the night before he started at Hogwarts. Yes, I know she says it was another false alarm," Sirius said hastily, seeing Kirra about to speak.

Kirra quickly spoke up, she and Sirius clearly both had the same suspicions, "But I don't think so, somehow. I think someone tried to stop him from getting to Hogwarts. I think someone knew their job would be a lot more difficult with him around. And no one's going to look into it too closely; Mad-Eye's heard intruders a bit too often. But that doesn't mean he can't still spot the real thing. Moody was the best Auror the Ministry ever had."

Sirius nodded his head through the flames, clearly agreeing with the girl's statement, "I agree, and you need to remember that you were one of the strongest order members, you knew more spells than all pretty much all of us... Karkaroff is a death eater that you helped put behind bars, I'm sure he wants revenge and he knows he can't deal with you himself, so what better way than to add you into a tournament that can kill you."

"yeah, but apparently the ministry has gone out of their way to make sure that nothing bad happens in this tournament, there is a bunch of safety precautions or some shit like that," Kirra told the man as she thought back to everything that had been saying about the cup in the opening speech

Sirius hesitated. "I've been hearing some very strange things," he said slowly. "The Death Eaters seem to be a bit more active than usual lately. They showed themselves at the Quidditch World Cup, didn't they? Someone set off the Dark Mark . . . and then — did you hear about that Ministry of Magic witch who's gone missing?"