Helping Hand

Kirra left Harry and Hermione and made her way back to the Hufflepuff common room, in all honesty, she had had enough of them for the day, especially her brother. She made her way down to the basement and through the entrance and as if on cue, Cedric walked down the stairs into the common room just as she walked in.

"Kirra! Can we talk now?" Cedric asked her hopefully, he was far from calm and Kirra realised just how freaked out Cedric was with the circumstances. She nodded her head and pulled him to the side of the room where the two of them sat away from the others on a large bean bag.

"So are you sure its dragons?" he asked her softly

"They've got five, one for each of us, and we've got to get past them."

Cedric stared at her. Kirra saw some of the panic she'd been feeling since Saturday night flickering in Cedric's grey eyes. "Are you sure?" Cedric said in a hushed voice.

"Dead sure," said Kirra. "I've seen them."

"But how did you find out? We're not supposed to know. . . ."

"Never mind about that, I told you that I can't tell you, a friend helped me," said Kirra quickly — she knew Hagrid would be in trouble if she told the truth. "But I'm not the only one who knows. Harry was with me and Fleur and Krum will know by now — Maxime and Karkaroff both saw the dragons too." 

Cedric straightened up, his arms full of inky quills, parchment, and books, his ripped bag dangling off one shoulder. He stared at Kirra, and there was a puzzled, but thankful look in his eyes. "Why are you telling me?" he asked.

Kirra looked at him in disbelief. Cedric and her had gotten really close and they were in the same house, and on the same team, not to mention that she was now the captain of the Hufflepuff team "Because you are one of my best friends Ced. And Besides, it's just . . . fair, isn't it?" she said to Cedric.

"I'm here to help you, friends look out for each other right? And besides, we all know now . . . we're on an even footing, aren't we?" Cedric grinned at the girl and nodded his head and pulled her in for a hug, thanking her but they were suddenly cut off by a third year running over to them, out of breath.

"Kirra, Its Moody, he wants to see you," the boy whisked out. Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion before she pulled away and nodded her head standing up, "he's waiting outside the entrance." She nodded her head and thanked him, saying goodbye to the two boys before running out of the entrance.

She walked outside and closed the door before looking around, she couldn't see him but was startled slightly by the familiar clunking sound. She turned around and saw Mad-Eye Moody emerging from a nearby classroom.

"Come with me, Potter," he growled.

"Potter. In my office, please. . . ." Kirra followed him, wondering what was going to happen to her now, was she in trouble? What did he want to talk to her about?

What if Moody knew that she knew about the dragons? What if he wanted to know how she'd found out about the dragons? Would Moody go to Dumbledore and tell on Hagrid, or just turn Kirra into a ferret?

She followed Moody into his office. Moody closed the door behind them and turned to look at Kirra, his magical eye fixed upon her as well as the normal one. "That was a very decent thing you just did, Potter," Moody said quietly.

Kirra didn't know what to say; this wasn't the reaction she had expected at all, the moody that she knew last decade wouldn't have really cared, but he wouldn't have been too happy about cheating which is practically what she had just done.