Chapter 152

Despite the very heavy load of homework that the fourth years had been given for the holidays, Kirra was in no mood to work when term ended, and spent the week leading up to Christmas enjoying herself as fully as possible along with everyone else.

The Slytherin common room was hardly less crowded now than during term-time; it seemed to have shrunk slightly too, as its inhabitants were being so much rowdier than usual. Theodore and Kirra had spent a lot of the time testing out the products that Kirra and the twins had make.

Kirra, Fred and George had had a great success with their Canary Creams, and for the first couple of days of the holidays, people kept bursting into feather all over the place. Before long, however, all the Gryffindors, Slytherins and Hufflepuffs had learned to treat food anybody else offered them with extreme caution, in case it had a Canary Cream concealed in the center, and Kirra confided to her friends that she, George and Fred were now working on developing something else.

Kirra and Daphne had practically become best friends and Kirra even managed to introduce the pretty blonde to Scott, the boy that was a year older than them whom had helped her back in the first year, and the two of them seemed to click instantly.

Daphne had even kindly talked to Goyle (who didn't even bother to pay her much mind while she was talking to her) and she had told him that she was now going to the ball with Scott instead, and luckily it seemed that Goyle could care less.

Mattheo and Kirra had still been practically avoiding each other at every chance that they got. Kirra had attempted to talk to him for a while before giving up when he kept turning away from her or pretended that he couldn't hear her.

While all that was on Mattheo's mind was that he was a shitty boyfriend and he kept on screwing everything up between the two of them no matter how hard he tried not to. And now she was going with Jasper Rowle, though he was grateful that she wasn't going with Theodore.

Snow was falling thickly upon the castle and its grounds now. The pale blue Beauxbatons carriage looked like a large, chilly, frosted pumpkin next to the iced gingerbread house that was Hagrid's cabin, while the Durmstrang ship's portholes were glazed with ice, the rigging white with frost.

The house-elves down in the kitchen were outdoing themselves with a series of rich, warming stews and savory puddings, and only Fleur Delacour seemed to be able to find anything to complain about. "It is too 'eavy, all zis 'Ogwarts food," they heard her saying grumpily as they left the Great Hall behind her one evening

"Oh my god does she ever shut up?" Daphne asked with a whine of annoyance as they listened to the girl complain again and again

"Tell me about it, last night she was complaining about being too cold when she was walking around in a thin skirt and singlet, like what did she expect?" Theodore complained

"I will not fit into my dress robes!" Fleur continued

"Oooh there's a tragedy," Jasper snapped as Fleur went out into the entrance hall. "She really thinks a lot of herself, that one, doesn't she?"

"Theodore — who are you going to the ball with?" said Kirra as they watched another person being asked out to the ball, it was a Durmstrung boy asking a Hoogwarts girl, and it was very entertaining to watch it, the boy was so formal, it was beautiful as he bowed for the girl and kissed her hand.

She kept springing this question on him, hoping to startle him into a response by asking it when he least expected it, though she wanted to make sure that he was happy and he was going to the ball with someone that he actually cared about.

However, Theodore merely frowned and said, "I'm not telling you, you'll just make fun of me."

Next moment, Mattheo's owl had flown over to her and dropped a letter into her hands before perching itself on her shoulder, something she noticed he only seemed to do with her. "Good birdy," she muttered as she reached up and stroked the birds head and back affectionately before it flew away.