How did you do that?

"Hagrid, what — ?" 

"Shhh!" said Hagrid, and he knocked three times on the door bearing the crossed golden wands. Even though Kirra and Harry were under separate invisibility cloaks, they both looked over at each other at the same time, and they knew that the other was looking at them.

Madame Maxime opened it. She was wearing a silk shawl wrapped around her massive shoulders. She smiled when she saw Hagrid. "Ah, 'Agrid . . . it is time?"

"Bong-sewer," said Hagrid, beaming at her, and holding out a hand to help her down the golden steps. Madame Maxime closed the door behind her, Hagrid offered her his arm, and they set off around the edge of the paddock containing Madame Maxime's giant winged horses, with Harry and Kirra, totally bewildered, running to keep up with them. 

Had Hagrid wanted to show them Madame Maxime? They could see her any old time they wanted . . . she wasn't exactly hard to miss. . . .But it seemed that Madame Maxime was in for the same treat as Kirra and Harry, because after a while she said playfully, "Wair is it you are taking me, 'Agrid?"

"Yeh'll enjoy this," said Hagrid gruffly, "worth seein', trust me. On'y — don' go tellin' anyone I showed yeh, right? Yeh're not s'posed ter know."

"Of course not," said Madame Maxime, fluttering her long black eyelashes. And still they walked, Harry and Kirra getting more and more irritated as they jogged along in their wake, Kirra checking her watch every now and then. 

Hagrid had some harebrained scheme in hand, which might make her miss Sirius. If they didn't get there soon, she was going to turn around, go straight back to the castle, and leave Hagrid to enjoy his moonlit stroll with Madame Maxime. . . .

But then — when they had walked so far around the perimeter of the forest that the castle and the lake were out of sight — the twins heard something. Men were shouting up ahead . . . then came a deafening, earsplitting roar. . . . and Kirra had known what it was instantly, feeling her body erupt in excitement

Hagrid led Madame Maxime around a clump of trees and came to a halt. Kirra and Harry hurried up alongside them — for a split second, Harry thought he was seeing bonfires, and men darting around them, but Kirra knew what was going on —and then their mouths fell open.

Dragons.

Five fully grown, enormous, vicious-looking dragons were rearing onto their hind legs inside an enclosure fenced with thick planks of wood, roaring and snorting — torrents of fire were shooting into the dark sky from their open, fanged mouths, fifty feet above the ground on their outstretched necks.

Kirra looked around at them all. There was a silvery-blue one with long, pointed horns, snapping and snarling at the wizards on the ground which Kirra was sure was a Swedish short-snout; 

a smooth-scaled green one, which was writhing and stamping with all its might which Kirra knew to be a welsh green; 

a red one with an odd fringe of fine gold spikes around its face, which was shooting mushroom-shaped fire clouds into the air which was a Chinese Fireball; 

and a gigantic black one, more lizard-like than the others, which was nearest to them which was a Hungarian Horntail.

And the last one was a Norwegian ridgeback which was similar to the Horntail but it had black ridges on its back.

At least fourty wizards, seven or eight to each dragon, were attempting to control them, pulling on the chains connected to heavy leather straps around their necks and legs. Mesmerized, Kirra looked up, high above her, and saw the eyes of the black dragon that she had seen last and it was just standing there, then she looked over at the other black dragon... the horntail, with vertical pupils like a cat's, bulging with either fear or rage, she couldn't tell which. . . .