Halloween

Perhaps it was because she was now so busy, what with Quidditch practise three evenings a week on top of all her homework, but Kirra could hardly believe it when she realized that she'd already been at Hogwarts two months. 

The castle felt more like home than Privet Drive ever had. Her lessons, too, were becoming more and more interesting now that they had mastered the basics. On Halloween morning they woke to the delicious smell of baking pumpkin wafting through the corridors.

Even better, Professor Flitwick announced in Charms that he thought they were ready to start making objects fly, something they had all been dying to try since they'd seen him make Neville's toad zoom around the classroom.

Professor Flitwick put the class into pairs to practice. Kirra had somehow been partnered with no other than Mattheo Riddle while JJ and Maxine sent her sympathetic looks from across the classroom. As Mattheo and Kirra glared at each other, the class found it hard to tell whether Mattheo or Kirra were angrier about this.

Neither of them had spoken to each other since the day in the hall when she had received her broom. "Now, don't forget that nice wrist movement we've been practising!" squeaked Professor Flitwick, perched on top of his pile of books as usual. 

"Swish and flick, remember, swish and flick. And saying the magic words properly is very important, too — never forget Wizard Baruffio, who said 's' instead of 'f' and found himself on the floor with a buffalo on his chest." It was very difficult.

Kirra and Mattheo swished and flicked, but the feather they were supposed to be sending skyward just lifted off the table a few centimeters, however the two were doing better than everyone else in the class, they sent challenging looks at each other as they tried to make their feather fly higher than the other, but they stayed at an equal height.

"I expected better from you Mattheo, from the way you have been acting I expected you to be able to do anything," Kirra said as she sent the boy a grin. Mattheo rolled her eyes and then scoffed, his eyebrows raised as he looked at her in disbelief

"Yeah because you are doing so much better than me aren't you?" Mattheo asks her sarcastically as he looked at her feather which was still at the same height as his own

"Yeah well I thought 'stupid Hufflepuffs weren't able to do anything' remember?" She asked him sarcastically and it only resulted in him rolling his eyes again, something he did very often.

"What are you talking about, I never said Hufflepuffs couldn't do anything... They can annoy everyone remember?" He asked her with a smirk and she decided to stop bickering with him and instead she concentrated on the feather in front of her, she let out a deep breath before getting her wand ready to try again.

"Wingardium Leviosa!" her feather rose off the desk and hovered about six feet above their heads, Mattheo stared at the feather in complete disbelief and then slammed his hand down on the desk angrily, his feather caught on fire and fell back down to the table

"Oh, well done!" cried Professor Flitwick, clapping. "Everyone see here, Miss Potter's done it!" Mattheo was in a very bad mood by the end of the class, he had glared at her the whole class while she just sat there and offered him her feather since his was laid out in a burning pile on the middle of his desk.

Mattheo and Draco walked out of the classroom together with Crabbe and Goyle following them close behind, they could tell that Mattheo was in a bad mood, and when he was, they were very cautious, his temper was sure to be his downfall, yet what could you expect

"It's no wonder no one can stand her," he said to Draco as they pushed their way into the crowded corridor, "she's a nightmare, honestly, the stupid Hufflepuff thinks she knows everything. I mean, does she honestly think that her friends like her? She's impossible to stand honestly"