The Prisoner of Azkaban Begins

Kirra Potter was a highly unusual girl in many ways. For one thing, she hated the summer holidays more than any other time of year. For another, she really wanted to do her homework but was forced to do it in secret, in the dead of night. 

And she also happened to be a witch. 

And of course, not to mention she was cursed to die and be reborn over and over and fall in love with a Slytherin every single time.

 It was nearly midnight, and she was lying on her stomach in bed, the blankets drawn right over her head like a tent, a flashlight in one hand and a large leather-bound book (A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot) propped open against the pillow. 

Kirra moved the tip of her eagle-feather quill down the page, frowning as she looked for something that would help her and her brother write their essays, 'Witch Burning in the Fourteenth Century Was Completely Pointless — discuss.' 

 The quill paused at the top of a likely-looking paragraph. She moved her flashlight closer to the book, and read: Non-magic people (more commonly known as Muggles) were particularly afraid of magic in medieval times, but not very good at recognizing it. 

On the rare occasion that they did catch a real witch or wizard, burning had no effect whatsoever. The witch or wizard would perform a basic Flame-Freezing Charm and then pretend to shriek with pain while enjoying a gentle, tickling sensation. 

Indeed, Wendelin the Weird enjoyed being burned so much that she allowed herself to be caught no less than forty-seven times in various disguises. Kirra put her quill between her teeth and played with the moon necklace around her neck for a few moments before she reached underneath her pillow for her ink bottle and a roll of parchment. 

Slowly and very carefully she unscrewed the ink bottle, dipped her quill into it, and began to write, pausing every now and then to listen, because she didn't want to wake her twin and if any of the Dursleys heard the scratching of her quill on their way to the bathroom, she'd probably find herself locked in the cupboard under the stairs for the rest of the summer. 

The Dursley family of Number Four, Privet Drive, was the reason that Harry and Kirra Potter never enjoyed their summer holidays. Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, and their son, Dudley, were The potter twin's only living relatives. 

They were Muggles, and they had a very medieval attitude toward magic. The Potter's dead parents, who had been a witch and wizard themselves, were never mentioned under the Dursleys'roof. 

For years, Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon had hoped that if they kept Kirra and Harry as downtrodden as possible, they would be able to squash the magic out of them. To their fury, they had not been unsuccessful. These days they lived in terror of anyone finding out that Kirra and Harry had spent most of the last two years at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

The most they could do, however, was to lock away Kirra and Harry's spell books, wands, cauldrons, and broomsticks at the start of the summer break, and forbid them to talk to the neighbours. 

This separation from their spell books had been a real problem for the twins, because their teachers at Hogwarts had given them a lot of holiday work. Kirra had therefore seized her chance in the first week of the holidays. 

While Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, and Dudley had gone out into the front garden to admire Uncle Vernon's new company car (in very loud voices, so that the rest of the street would notice it too), Kirra had crept downstairs, picked the lock on the cupboard under the stairs (like Fred and George had taught her to do), grabbed some of hers and her brothers books, and hidden them in their bedroom.