The sundered, ashened Earth 6/7 (SFW) Apocalypse-AU

Chapter 6

Before his thoughts spiraled even further down a knock was heard on the door and a female voice was to be heard.

"I'm Toni Wei. I'm the doctor Jordan sent for. I heard one of you is gravely ill. May I come in and look for myself?"

"Yeah you can come in," Eddy ignored the familiar sounding name since he just wanted Brett to get proper care.

He sat on the edge of the bed, placing a hand on Brett's shin, to offer him a physical connection without being in the way of the wound being checked.

The door opened and a young woman came in, smiling at them. She had a basket with her, filled to the brim with medical stuff. She nodded at Eddy, then at Brett.

"I assume the one lying down is Brett and he is the sick one, yeah?"

Her long black hair swished from side to side as she drew closer and Brett's eyes widened. She reminded him of someone in the past. The 'before'.

While Toni pushed away the cover, she was making soft small talk with Eddy.

"So, he was shot right? How long ago was it? Jordan filled me in, but his memory is not the best and I think you are probably more attuned to your friend. Jordan said that you two are close, right?"

"Yes he was shot, we are close and it happened near dusk of yesterday," Eddy squeezed Brett's leg. Not really looking at Toni because he recognized her for specific reasons and didn't want to be recognized himself, "Do you think you can help him?"

"Yes I can. And don't fret. I remember you as well. But we have a strict rule here: What happened before is of no concern. We all start fresh here. A blank slate. What happens on the mainland or before the outbreak has no meaning here," She shot him a smile but then put on gloves to take care of the wound itself, "You did a good job of stitching him up. He will recover faster that way. He will have a scar though, but that shouldn't hinder him in any way."

She stepped back and pulled the bloody gloves from her hands after she redressed the wound. It went into a container, sealed shut. In the basket were all kinds of tiny flasks and pill bottles and she took two out, "The yellow ones are for his fever and to suppress his pain. Give him one every day. The morning is the best time with his breakfast. The other is Antibiotics. One in the morning, one in the evening for ten days straight. Even if he says he is fine, he should take it ten days. Cool him down with cold cloths on his forehead and with cold leg compresses. Change it every half an hour. Not before that or you will do more damage than good. In the dresser right beside the door are colored ribbons. If you need me, bind the yellow one at the door. People will regularly check on you without disturbing you but they will see the ribbons. A list of what color is for what need is provided. Take care Eddy. And take care of him. He has a high fever, but when you take good care of him, he will be fine."

She shot him a smile after that long monologue and placed the two bottles on the nightstand.

"Any more questions?"

"I have no more questions, thank you Toni," Eddy spared her a glance but then looked back at Brett, the elder seemed to be observant or at least was trying to be since his look was still a bit dazed. He would take care of Brett to his fullest. Ten days of no rest would be perfectly fine. He didn't need it anyways, it was for losers.

Toni nodded and smiled at the pair, "And you should rest as well, Eddy. Brett will be in pain today and maybe tomorrow even though he gets his painkillers. The fever should break by the end of tonight, if not call for me. The rest will go swimmingly, so don't worry too much."