Prompt 14 - Crawling (1 of 2)

Crawling

The sun was gone as Brett looked up at the sky. Slowly the darkness crept in. The heat of the Australian sun slowly vanished replacing it with the cold. Brett didn't notice. He looked up in the sky as his thoughts replayed the same thing over and over again. It was Ray's Mendelssohn. He played it perfectly. Strong, vibrant, capturing. He evoked color in Brett's life and here he laid, on the patio of the house he shared with Eddy. Eddy was gone for the night, some get together Brett didn't want to be a part off. He rather laid in the cold getting outside, staring unseeingly into the sky. His dream was to be a soloist. That was why he was in the university! That was why he was at the Queensland Conservatory for god's sake! But his friend, his good friend Ray Chen, already beat him to that. He was at Julliard, played his debut and was so good in simply everything. He had fantastic genes, good looks, probably a massive dick, and hands that played the violin so damn well. Not only did he have the perfect pitch as well as Eddy, but he was such a good player! It was almost unfair, no scratch that, it was indeed unfair.

He was almost green with envy when he heard the Mendelssohn. He wanted to play that for his graduation but now he wouldn't. Instead he chose on a whim the Tchaikovsky. But so far he sucked at it. No wonder; he didn't practice much for it.

His hands balled to fists but he let go of it when he noticed his strength fading. He felt like a failure, someone who didn't deserve anything. Even shy and introverted Eddy made friends with other people while he wallowed in his own misery and pity. His eyes were growing heavier and he blinked lazily. Well, at least the stars were twinkling happily. If stars could be happy that is.

Lethargy crept into his body and he just felt exhausted. But some spark was left. Some tiny, little spark. That was the one thing that kept his eyes open for now.

Brett rarely cried, even less with all the stress of uni and the lots, but now he wished he cried. Cried all out, let everything wash away. But he didn't. No, he chose a different path.

And now he was here, sleep crawling upon him. He didn't even have enough energy to get up and lay in his bed. What a misery. Eddy would be furious when he saw where Brett chose to sleep.

His eyelids grew heavier and heavier until he couldn't help himself and let them fall shut. The stars were still brightly twinkling as he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. All his thoughts, wishes and hopes wouldn't matter tomorrow. He would simply be a number in the statistics. That way he couldn't fail, right? Right.

He turned his head and let loose the breath he held. Then he was deep asleep.

*

When Eddy would come home later, much much later. He would find Brett outside. He would scoff and try to wake his friend. He thought only his friend could be that dumb to sleep outside on the hard concrete. But then his eyes would fall on the empty bottle. A bottle with the name of one of his colleagues. It was Ben's. Ben had insomnia and took those ones for a good night's sleep. And he refilled it yesterday; Eddy was with him when they did so. Now the bottle was empty.

Eddy would cry and try to wake his friend up but nothing would help. He would call 000, the emergency number in Australia, call for an ambulance. But it would be too late. Many, many hours too late.

Words: 637